There are many causes of dry, itchy skin in dogs. However, no matter what the reason is for your dog’s dry and itchy skin, one of the best things you can do to help your pup is to choose an appropriate dog shampoo.
Harsh pet shampoos are generally made with low-quality ingredients that can further irritate your dog’s skin. Not only can dry skin lead to dandruff issues and flaky skin, but it can also lead to chronic itchiness, pain, and heavy shedding. If you want to treat your dog’s dry skin and help your furry friend look and feel his or her absolute best, we are here to help!
By reading this thorough buyer’s guide, you will learn all about the best dog shampoo for your pet for treating and soothing dry skin. Not only will we highlight some of the best options on the market today, but we will also explain how these shampoos work and why they are so effective at treating dandruff, excess shedding, and, of course, dry, itchy skin!
What Makes a Dog Shampoo a Good Option for Treating Dry Skin?
In most cases, a pet shampoo that’s specifically formulated for treating dry and itchy skin is labeled as an anti-dandruff and de-shedding shampoo. These medicated shampoos don’t just pull loose hair and skin flakes from the coat, they also help nourish the dog’s skin so it feels much less dry, itchy, and irritated.
Not only does this kind of puppy shampoo help restore moisture into the surface of the dog’s skin, but it also helps clear the dog’s pores and pull away any trapped oil and debris. To do so, the pet shampoo contains active ingredients that can actually penetrate into the undercoat. As a result, the surface of the skin receives the moisture and nourishment it requires to heal properly.
In many cases, these skin-treating dog shampoos contain natural ingredients that help deliver essential vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids to the surface of the dog’s skin. Each natural ingredient, such as oat extracts, aloe vera gel, and even honey, helps to soften the skin so it feels less itchy to the dog. In many cases, it is actually the dog’s incessant scratching that is making the dryness even worse. By soothing the skin and reducing inflammation and itchiness, the skin is given the opportunity to heal.
Essentially, all of the active ingredients in these unique pet shampoos – including medicated shampoo, oatmeal dog shampoo, and aloe pet shampoo – are designed to reduce dryness and flakiness, which is absolutely vital if you want the skin to heal and return to a healthier state.
What Should You Look for in a Shampoo if Your Dog Has Dry Skin?
If your dog has dry and itchy skin, there are a few key ingredients that you should look out for. For starters, avoid any shampoos that are made from harsh chemicals as well as those that contain artificial fragrances, as these ingredients can actually more your dog’s dry skin even worse.
Rather than harsh chemicals, look for shampoos that are rich in natural ingredients that actually help soothe the skin by restoring moisture. The main thing you want to avoid is cheap dog shampoos that simply remove dandruff from the coat without actually helping to treat and repair the skin.
You should also look for a pet shampoo that specifically states it’s free from common skin allergens, which are one of the main reasons why a dog’s skin can become dry and itchy.
Finally, look for a life stage-appropriate dog shampoo, as adult dog shampoos can actually irritate the skin of puppies, while puppy shampoos are rarely strong enough to penetrate into an adult dog’s coat. Again, the main thing is to avoid further irritating and drying out your dog’s skin, so finding a shampoo that is specifically formulated for dogs similar to your own will increase the likelihood that the product will actually help treat your dog’s skin dryness.
The Best Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin
Now that we have explained some of the things you should look for in a dog shampoo, we can go over some of our top picks. We spent plenty of time reviewing numerous options, so you can read through this list and find the best shampoo that comes closest to matching your budget, preferences, and your dog’s unique needs!
1. Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. – CALM Soothing Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Dogs with Dry & Sensitive Skin
- BABY YOUR BABY - For tender new puppy skin or dogs with sensitive dermal conditions, our kindest shampoo is formulated to cleanse while being extra gentle. No tears or angry allergies allowed!
- NATURE’S BEST INGREDIENTS - Made with aloe vera extract, which smoothes the cuticle surface and seals in moisture for skin and coat; restorative rosemary, to stimulate follicle growth; and gentle chamomile.
- SAFE, EFFECTIVE, NATURAL - No masking dyes. No drying alcohols. No parabens that can mess up a dog’s endocrine system. All of the good stuff, none of the bad: that’s what Rocco & Roxie is all about.
- MAKE BATH TIME A BREEZE - Wash away a day of play in minutes. Our formula is easy to shampoo in, easy to rinse out completely. Towel dry or whole-body shake? Maybe a little of both.
- 100% GUARANTEE - We want you to be completely satisfied. We want your dog to look and feel her best. If this shampoo doesn’t do both, don’t work yourself into a lather—we’ll send your money back.
This unique formula from Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. is designed to help nourish dog skin, which means it helps to restore moisture and reverse dryness. Not only will this help to moisturize dog skin, which can help relieve skin infection, but it can also reduce the intensity of shedding, dandruff, and, most importantly, itchiness. Your dog will look and feel much better after a few washes with this soothing dog shampoo from Rocco & Roxie Supply Co.
In order to restore moisture to the skin, Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. chose a unique blend of natural ingredients that are known to soothe and moisturize both skin and fur. These ingredients include pure aloe vera extract, as well as liquified oats.
Where a low-quality dog shampoo will contain high volumes of artificial colors and dyes, as well as other harmful ingredients like alcohol, parabens, and phosphates, CALM by Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. is free from all types of ingredients that are known to cause dryness and itchiness.
Not only can this unique oatmeal shampoo cure your dog’s dry and itchy skin, the unique natural ingredients, like chamomile and rosemary, help soften the skin, which will make your dog feel much better. The natural, soothing scent also helps to make dogs feel more relaxed, which explains why Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. named this blend CALM. If your dog gets anxious around bath time, you may notice that this shampoo can help your pup – whether you have a Shih Tzu or a Bulldog – feel more at ease.
We also really like how easy it is to rinse the shampoo from the coat and skin, as some of the lower-quality dog shampoos really cling to the canine. Unfortunately, trapped shampoos, regardless of their quality, can actually cause skin irritation and dryness, so it is important to choose a shampoo that is easy to rinse away.
Overall, it is an outstanding dog shampoo that can help treat dry skin, as well as a variety of related issues, like dandruff, excess shedding, skin infection, and even bath-time anxiety!
- Contains real aloe vera to soothe and moisturize the dog’s skin
- Does not contain harmful irritants that are known to dry out the skin, like alcohol, artificial perfumes, and chemical-based dyes
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee from Rocco & Roxie Supply Co.
- Easy to rinse from the coat and the surface of the dog’s skin
- Contains argan oil, which can restore softness and shine to the coat and skin
- DOG SHAMPOO FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: Includes (1) 12 oz. bottle of Natural Dog Company Sensitive Skin Shampoo that is an extra-gentle formula for dogs who have delicate and easily irritated skin.
- MOISTURIZERS, SOOTHES, & HYDRATES: Give your pup a soothing, odor-eliminating, and hydrating wash that won't chafe their sensitive skin.
- ORGANIC & NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Our special formula contains manuka honey, aloe vera, chamomile extract, and colloidal oatmeal, which moisturizes and nourishes the skin and coat while gently relieving itchiness.
- SAFE FOR ALL BREEDS: Our nourshing shampoo is safe for all dog breeds, sizes, and ages and will help maintain a clean, shiny coat and moisturized skin.
- MADE IN THE USA: Our soothing formula is free of sulfates, parabens, alcohols, toxins, and artificial fragrances to help balance your dogs skin. It works best when paired with our Skin Soother organic healing balm.
This is another high-quality dog shampoo that was specifically designed for dogs with sensitive and dry skin. This extra-gentle formula is even suitable for dogs that have skin allergies, as it only contains the highest quality natural ingredients.
Not only will this dog shampoo soothe the surface of your dog’s skin, but it also helps to moisturize and hydrate the skin, which prevents dryness from reoccurring. As you would expect from a company with a name like Natural Dog Company, this shampoo is made from organic and natural ingredients, which is the key to its effectiveness.
Not only does it contain organic colloidal oatmeal, which is known to soothe irritated and inflamed skin, it also contains manuka honey, aloe vera, and chamomile. Given that all of these natural ingredients have been used for centuries to treat dry and damaged skin, it is no surprise that this dog shampoo is one of the best options on the market for dogs with dry and irritated skin.
The high-quality, natural ingredients used in this dog shampoo certainly catch the eye, but it is also important to recognize the harmful ingredients that it does not contain, like sulfates, parabens, alcohols, artificial fragrances, and other known irritants. Essentially, it only contains necessary and natural ingredients, so it will not further damage your dog’s dry and itchy skin.
While treating dry skin may be one of the primary selling points for this particular formula, it is important to note that it is also an incredibly effective shampoo, meaning it cleans and repairs the coat. Fortunately, it is also suitable for all life stages and breeds, which is due to the fact that it is so gentle.
Overall, it is another outstanding dog shampoo, and we are confident that it will help your dog feel and look his or her best.
- Made in the United States from high-quality, natural ingredients
- Hypoallergenic and free from harmful ingredients and chemicals that can irritate and inflame the skin
- Contains soothing ingredients, like colloidal oatmeal, aloe vera, manuka honey, and chamomile
- Gentle enough that it can be used on all breeds and life stages, including puppies!
- STRENGTHENS FUR AND REDUCES BREAKAGE — Shed control shampoo strengthens the fur, reduces breakage, and keeps stray hairs leashed
- MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS — All natural ingredients include Omega-3s and Vitamin E
- DIRECTIONS — Apply to dog's wet coat. Work from head to tail and rinse, carefully avoiding eyes. Shampoo will have a light lather as this solution is made with only natural ingredients that are safe and effective for your pet. Store in a cool, dry place
- SUITABLE FOR ALL DOGS AND PUPPIES — This mild shampoo is pH balanced especially for all dogs and puppies
- 100% SAFE — Veterinarian recommended formula, free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals
If you were unaware, Burt’s Bees offers a line of natural pet care products in addition to its human-oriented skincare products like human shampoo. As you would expect from a brand with such an impressive reputation, its dog shampoos are made to the highest standard!
As the name suggests, Burt’s Bees Shed Control Dog Shampoo helps treat shedding at the source, which means it restores moisture to the coat and the dog’s skin. Not only does it restore moisture to the skin, but it is also designed to offer soothing itch relief. Given that excessive itching and scratching can severely worsen dry skin, this is an important feature of any dog shampoo that is designed to treat and repair dry skin and dandruff.
Soothing ingredients, like vitamin-rich oatmeal extracts and the brand’s signature beeswax blend, help restore moisture to the skin and coat. As you would expect from a shed control shampoo, the ingredients also help to strengthen the individual hairs within the coat, so your dog’s fur will have a much healthier and shinier appearance.
Burt’s Bees also ensures that all of their dog shampoos are pH balanced, so they are safe to use with all breeds and life stages, even puppies. The fact that Burt’s Bees is one of the most trusted dog shampoos amongst professional groomers and veterinarians speaks to its overall quality. It is also a testament to the fact that this is a very safe shampoo that will not irritate and inflame your dog’s skin.
This shampoo is also enriched with omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin E, which combine to help treat the skin and prevent dryness from reoccurring. As an added bonus, it is also one of the most affordable dog shampoos on our list, so it is a great option if you own more than one dog or you are trying to tighten your budget!
- Made from natural and ethically sourced ingredients
- Contains added omega 3 and vitamin E, which effectively treat dry skin and a damaged coat
- Guaranteed pH balanced, which means that it will not irritate the dog’s skin or eyes
- Contains beeswax and oatmeal, which help soothe the skin and reduce the itchiness that causes dryness
- Strengthens and repairs the coat, so your dog will shed less of its fur
- No Irritation Pet Shampoo For Dogs - Keep your dogs smelling great for days with Buddy’s Best moisturizing dog shampoo, perfect for dogs with sensitive skin.
- Dog-Friendly Ingredients - This dog shampoo is made only from pet-loving and vegan ingredients. It's free from harmful chemicals that can hurt your precious pets.
- Silky Smooth Dog Coat - Receive compliments from other dog owners with our puppy shampoo. It gives your pets silky, soft fur that lasts for days with just one lather.
- Buddy's Best Promise - We're confident that you and your fur babies will love our dog shampoo for allergies and itching. If unsatisfied, simply return the product to us for a full refund. No questions asked.
If your dog has dry skin as well as a damaged coat, this hypoallergenic 2-in-1 dog shampoo and conditioner from Buddy’s Best is the perfect solution. Not only does it help repair the skin and coat, but it was also specifically formulated to be a suitable option for dogs that have sensitive skin and allergies.
One of the key features of this dog shampoo is the fact that it is 100 percent free from harsh chemicals that are known to irritate and dry out the skin. As such, it will not leave your dog feeling itchy, which gives the skin the opportunity to heal. It also helps restore moisture to the surface of the skin as well as the roots of the hair, so your dog’s skin and coat will have a much less dry feel and appearance.
Given that it is made from natural ingredients, it will not cause any of the skin inflammation that you often find with lower-quality dog shampoos. Not only will the dog’s skin look and feel better, but the dog itself will also feel less irritated, which can be a major help if you find that your dog scratches and bites at his or her skin. It is also free from any ingredients that could sting your dog’s eyes, which is one of the many reasons why some dogs dread bath time.
Like the dog shampoos highlighted above, this formula from Buddy’s Best is also loaded with real oatmeal and aloe vera extracts, so it also has a soothing effect on the surface of the skin. These two ingredients also combine to restore moisture to the skin and coat.
Given that it is a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner, it is a great option for anyone that has a long-haired breed, as their lengthy coats often require a conditioner. With just a few washes, your dog’s coat will have a silky and healthy appearance. It also helps to deodorize the coat, which is another issue that can really impact long-haired, double-coated breeds. Fortunately, it does so without the use of artificial fragrances, so it will not irritate the skin.
If your dog’s coat has a dry and dull appearance, but your pooch also has dry and sensitive skin, Buddy’s Best Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo and Conditioner is an outstanding option!
- Contains high-quality ingredients, like shea butter, coconut oil, organic aloe vera extract, vanilla bean, and oatmeal
- Free from alcohol, harsh soaps, and artificial fragrances, which can all irritate and dry the skin
- Only contains vegan-friendly, cruelty-free ingredients
- Restores moisture to the skin, which relieves itchiness and helps cure dryness
- 2-in-1 formula means that you do not have to worry about using a conditioning product after you have rinsed it from the dog’s coat and skin
Conclusion – Which Dog Shampoo Should You Choose?
With so many products on the market, choosing the right shampoo for your dog can be a very confusing and difficult decision. It becomes even more stressful if your pooch has dry and sensitive skin. Fortunately, there are plenty of dog shampoo brands out there that understand how important it is to create a product that helps the dog feel his or her best, rather than just look and smell nice.
All of the dog shampoos we highlighted above were selected because they contain natural ingredients that actually help to restore moisture to the skin and soothe inflammation rather than just wash the coat.
Review the options we discussed above and choose the product that meets your dog’s unique needs, as well as your own budget and preferences. Remember, your dog’s well-being should always be your No. 1 priority as a pet owner whenever you select any sort of pet-care product!
With the right dog shampoo and a little bit of patience, you can repair your dog’s dry and itchy skin. Who knows, maybe your dog will even grow to love bath time!