Fresh Patch is one of those things that sounds crazy at first, but then, when you give it a little bit of thought, it starts to make more sense.
They sell patches of real, natural, live grass to dog owners who put them in their homes for their dogs to use as a fresh grass doggy toilet.
Dogs have a natural instinct to poop and pee on grass.
The people from Fresh Patch claim that most dogs do not even need to be potty trained to use the Fresh Patch.
They also claim that the Fresh Patch’s real grass soaks up any nasty odors from the dog’s potty.
How true are these claims? Is Fresh Patch any good for dogs? Is it worth trying for your dog?
In the post, we have carried out detailed Fresh Patch Reviews to help you decide if this is the right solution for your dog.
We have listed below in detail the advantages and disadvantages of Fresh Patch.
Below that, we have reviewed an artificial grass potty that could work as an alternative to Fresh Patch.
Finally, we have listed some of the most frequently asked questions about the Fresh Patch Dog Potty System in case you are still confused about this interesting pet product.
Fresh Patch Disposable Dog Potty with Real Grass | Pupster Passion Review:
A fresh piece of grass is delivered to your door that you lay on the floor in your home, balcony, porch, or yard for your dog to use as their potty area.
Is this a crazy/stupid idea? Or is it a stroke of genius?
Does it make sense for you and your pets?
Or would you be better off buying a more normal man-made dog potty?
Let’s take a look at the details:
- The Fresh Path dog turf is hydroponically grown with no soil. This means the roots are feed with liquid fertilizer.
- Why does this matter? Well, if you think about a normal clump of turf, it has lots of messy soil on the bottom. This is not the case with Fresh Patch. You are not bringing a load of soil and dirt into your home.
- The Fresh Patch dog potty comes in four sizes, Mini a 16″x12″ inch box, Standard a 16″x 24″ inch box, Large 24″ x 24″ inch box, and the Extra Large 2×4 feet box.
- So it is suitable for all dog breeds, from tiny toy breeds right up to huge dogs such as Great Danes and Mastiffs.
- The grass mat is extra absorbent, and the company says that it should soak up all liquids and odors from your dog’s toilet business.
- It is very low maintenance and easy to use. It is delivered in a cardboard box. Simply take off the lid, and it is good to go. When it has been used up, you just throw it away and replace it with another one.
- The cardboard box is waterproof, so none of the dog’s urine and leak out onto your floors.
- Each Fresh Patch of turf can last from one to four weeks, and you can set up a subscription to get new ones delivered at whatever frequency suits you best.
- This product is 100% natural made from freshly grown grass.
- If you want to use the Fresh Patch dog grass toilet outside (on a porch or balcony, for example). You can buy a plastic tray to stop the cardboard box’s bottom from getting damaged by the rain.
- Since the recent pandemic shut down, this Fresh Patch grass idea has become even more popular with some dog owners. Reading customer reviews, you can see that many pet owners found it useful during the crisis.
- Fresh Patch are based in California in the United States, and that is where all the grass is grown.
So to sum it up…
Fresh Patch gives you a natural, eco-friendly, recyclable, fresh grass dog potty for both indoor or outdoor use with dogs of all sizes.
You can use it either for potty training, for a dog with bladder issues, or as a dog potty if that makes life easier for you and your pet.
- The most obvious disadvantage to using the Fresh Patch grass dog toilet is that you have to pay for a regular subscription.
- The pooch patch will only last for up to four weeks, and then you need a new one.
- If your dogs love to chew things, then they might chew the Fresh Patch. It is not a chew proof or even chew resistant design.
- We read a lot and lots of reviews of Fresh Patch left by dog owners (on the brand’s social media platforms) who had used this dog toilet setup.
- The customer write-ups are mixed, some dog owners love the Fresh Patch, but others really didn’t.
- Common complaints include bugs and ticks arriving with the grass, the grass going brown and nasty too quickly. The price is too expensive and the Fresh Patch starting to smell really bad, really quickly.
- Now, with customer feedback, you always have to be careful.
- We have seen poor reviews on plenty of products that we know are awesome.
- We think the best thing to do is read the good ones and the bad ones to get an overall feel if this is the right product for you.
As you can see, there are some excellent things we can say about Fresh Patch and some not so good.
We have wrapped up this review for Fresh Patch in a quick conclusion, and then as promised, we have shared an alternative suggestion that could well be much better for your dog.
We can’t tell you if this interesting idea from the Fresh Patch is the right option for your dog, but we can help you weigh up the pros and cons.
If you like the idea of a natural, fresh grass dog potty, to use instead of something like puppy pads.
If you think your dog will prefer the Fresh Patch and it will be easier for them to use due to the fresh grass feeling and smelling better to the dog
Then it could be the perfect fit for you.
But if you are concerned about having to pay a monthly subscription just so your dog can poop and pee, then our next suggestion might work out much better for you.
Let’s take a look…
What About a Fake Grass Doggy Toilet Instead?
Lots of companies manufacture and sell doggy toilets. We have reviewed one of our favorite potties to see if it might be a better option for you and your pet pooch.
PetSafe Pet Loo | Pupster Passion Review:
The Pet Loo from PetSafe is an alternative to Fresh Patch. As with all pet products, it has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
Let’s take a look.
- This toilet for dogs can be used inside or outside.
- It has an artificial grass platform with a tray underneath that catches and urine and collects it in a collection tray.
- If you try is a special powder, which soaks up the dog pee and turns it into a chunk of odor-free, foam-like material.
- When the tray has filled up with the foam, you can easily and hygienically dispose of it by just throwing it in the trash.
- Solids can just be scooped up off the fake grass and disposed of.
- The mat and tray are very easy to clean with water and some soap.
- You can buy this product in three sizes, Small, Medium, and Large, so it suitable for most dog breeds (check sizes before buying if you have a giant breed).
- This is easy to use and clean, hygienic, indoor potty you can use for the dog if you need to leave them home alone for longer periods of time.
- It is not supplied with Fresh Grass, so it may be harder to train your dog to use it if they are very fussy about their potty spot (some dogs do seem to prefer real dog toilet grass).
- There isn’t much else bad that we can say about this product, it looks great to us.
Fresh Patch Frequently Asked Questions
- Was this the thing I saw on Shark Tank?
- How long does a patch last?
- Is Fresh Patch safe for dogs and adult dogs?
- How do you keep a Fresh Patch fresh?
- How do you train a dog to use the patch of grass?
Was this the thing I saw on Shark Tank – Yes, the Fresh Patch did appear on the hit US TV show Shark Tank.
How long does a patch last? – From one to four weeks, depending on how much use it gets.
Is Fresh Patch safe for puppies and adult dogs? – Yes, you can use it with any age of dog.
How do you keep a Fresh Patch in a fresh condition? – Don’t let it get rained on, scoop up any solids, follow the manufacturer’s instructions to look after the root structure, replace when necessary.
How do you train a dog to use the patch of grass? – The same way you would train a dog to use pee pads or a potty.
This video will show you how to do it nice and easily.
It is worth remembering that the Fresh Patch’s natural grass should make the potty training process much easier.