If you are thinking about buying a Coolaroo elevated dog bed for your pet pooch, then you are in the right place.
In this post, we are going to examine the Coolaroo dog bog in detail.
Our goal is to make sure you spend your hard-earned cash on the very best possible bed for your four-legged friend.
The manufactures call this bed the Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaro.
Now we are not 100% sure that this really was the first-ever raised bed for dogs. But with that said, it has been around for a long time and is still very popular to this day.
It has a relatively low price tag compared to some of the other raised dog beds on the market. Does that mean it is too cheap and poorly made? Or could this dog bed be a great value money option for your pets?
Let’s take a look at the Coolaroo elevated pet bed in detail.
We have given it our own in house rating then looked at the possible advantages and disadvantages of this bed
Coolaroo Dog Bed Review | Pupster Passion Rating:
- The Coolaroo is an elevated bed made from a powder-coated steel frame, with a breathable high-density polyethylene (HDPE) fabric platform for the dog to lie on.
- The raised design has several advantages. One example is that it allows air to circulate under the dog, helping them stay cool in hot weather.
- This air circulation also keeps mold and mildew at bay, which is especially useful if your dog lives outside, or in a damp area of your home.
- The raised design is also great for keeping fleas and mites at bay, and the Coolaroo bed is too high for them to jump up to and so they can’t attach themselves to your dog.
- Raised beds are also really useful for a dog with mobility or disability issues such as arthritis or canine hip dysplasia. Not having to get as far down to lie in bed is much easier on their joint problems.
- So apart from the seven inches of elevation off the ground (and all the benefits that brings). What else is so good about the Coolaroo bed?
- The fabric material is made to be breathable so that no heat spots build up on the dog’s skin.
- This bed’s cot style build means that the fabric supports all the dog’s joints and eliminates all pressure points. So again, this Coolaroo bed is great for dogs with disability issues.
- The Coolaroo’s steel frame and canvas style fabric sleeping platform mean this dog bed is straightforward to clean. You can either wipe it down by hand with a damp cloth. Or for an even deeper clean, wash it with a hosepipe and then just leave it somewhere warm to dry naturally.
- It is fine to use the Coolaroo for both indoors or outdoor use, in all weather conditions, the fabric and the steel frame are built to cope.
- You can choose from Small, Medium, and Large dog bed sizes, so it is perfect for all different sizes and breeds from toy dogs up to huge Mastiffs.
- The Coolaroo is available to purchase in six different colors, Brunswick Green, Grey, Nutmeg, Terracotta, Gunmetal, and a nice, bright Aquatic Blue option.
- It is made with flea, mite, mold, and mildew resistant fabric for optimal health.
- An Australian manufacturer makes the Coolaro dog bed. Besides dog beds, they make other garden and pet products all around dealing with the sun and hot weather.
- It is made from 100% recyclable, lead, and phthalate-free fabric and is GREENGAURD certified for minimal environmental impact.
- The fabric comes with a one-year warranty, and you can easily order official Coolaroo replacement covers (of the same fabric material) in case yours get damaged or worn (more on this below).
- In a nutshell, the Coolaroo dog bed creates a cool, secure, long-lasting, easy to clean, Eco friendly, hygienic, orthopedic, raised off the ground, sleeping environment for your pet dogs with great joint support. This is why we recommend it so happily to our readers.
- It might not be suitable for extra-large dog breeds such as Irish Wolf Hounds or Great Danes. Please check the dimensions before ordering if your dogs are gigantic. In fact, if you own a horse-size pet, our reviews of the Big Barker dog beds will be very helpful.
- Some customer reviews (on social media) from dog owners say that the screws tend to come loose too often. We suggest following the manufacturer’s guidelines when assembling the bed, ensuring the screws are done up nice and tight. If you still have issues contact the Coolaroo customer support team and ask them for advice. Or use some pipe fitters thread tape. There is no chance of them coming undone if you do this!
- The large Coolaroo bed has a maximum weight limit of 100lbs, so not ideal for heavyweight pets.
Check prices & availability for the Coolaroo The Original Elevated Pet Bed…
What About if the Bed Gets Damaged or Worn Out Over Time?
The Coolaroo Pet Bed Replacement Covers
A great advantage of the Coolaroo dog beds is that you can buy replacements for the bed’s fabric section.
So if your fabric gets chewed, stained, or worn thin over time, you can just buy another one and use the original frame.
- Replacement covers for our the original Coolaroo bed.
- The breathable fabric will prevent hot spots on your dog’s body, helping to keep the dog cooler.
- The Coolaroo is flea, mite, mold, and mildew resistant.
- The fabric cover is straightforward to clean, and it can be wiped down by hand or cleaned with a hosepipe.
Check prices and availability for the Coolaroo The Original Elevated Pet Bed…
Tips on How to Clean a Coolaro Bed
Cleaning and washing Coolaro dog beds is really easy.
For spillages, dribbles, minor accidents, and dirt, you and just wipe the bed with a damp cloth soaked in water or mild detergent.
If you want to give the bed a much deeper clean, you can use a hosepipe on it, the materials are all fully waterproof, so there is no risk of getting it soaking wet.
Just give it a good blasting with the hosepipe. Then if necessary, you can scrub the fabric with a fairly coarse scrubbing brush.
A quick rinse after the scrubbing and then leave it somewhere warm and ventilated to dry naturally.
Top Tip – Whenever you are washing Coolaroo dog beds, if the fabric has stubborn odors in it, just brush in some water mixed with baking powder.
Leave it to work its magic for half an hour to one hour, then rinse it thoroughly before leaving to dry naturally.
By the way, many people do have more than one bed for their dog in order to be comfortable in different rooms of the house. For dogs that like to snuggle in their bedding, we have some reviews for the Majestic Pet bagel dog beds.
How to Assemble Your New Coolaroo
If you decide to go for a Coolaroo dog bed, you will need to unpack and assemble it once it arrives.
Assembly of these dog beds is actually really easy, and the bed will come with fully detailed instructions, but some people prefer video formats, so this might be useful.
In the video, he lists the Coolaroo steps like this:
- Layout all the parts of the dog bed and make sure that they tally up with what is says on the box.
- Lay the fabric out flat on the floor and then lay the frame poles and corners around it.
- Slide the poles into the pockets of the fabric cover.
- Join all the poles together and hold them in place using the screws (don’t tighten them up yet).
- You will find that the last pole and screw are harder to get into place. So stand the bed frame up on its side, twist the frame a bit, and this should create enough length to make it fit (the video shows this really well).
- Set the dog bed back on the floor the normal way up, make sure the legs are all standing straight up.
- Finally, tighten all the screws up nice and tight (do not use any power tools to do this, just do it by hand to prevent over-tightening).
- Check that the bed is level, straight, and stable, then let your dog jump on it and test it out!
This whole process shouldn’t take more than ten to fifteen minutes of your time.
Here is the video to help make this job even easier to tick off the list.
That is all for this Coolaroo pet bed review post.
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and visit our site. We hope that you find the right dog beds with the right cooling effect for your four-legged friends.