Being a dog owner is mostly great fun.
You get to care for, feed, and play with your pet dog.
In return, they give you bundles of fun, friendship, laughter, companionship, and love.
But there are a few aspects of owning a dog that are less pleasurable than others.
One of these is dealing with your dog’s toilet needs.
You either need to take them out regularly so they can do their business outside.
Or you need to find some sort of indoor potty system for them to use.
In fact, often, a combination of both of these is ideal, an indoor potty for when the dog is left home alone.
You can then take the dog out for exercise and a potty break when you are home with your pet pooch.
In this post, we are going to a review of the Brilliant Pad Indoor Dog Potty.
It might seem a bit over the top to give so much attention to a single doggy toilet, but you will understand why when you see more about it.
Let’s take a look…
BrilliantPad Automatic Self-Cleaning Indoor Dog Potty | Pupster Passion Review:
The BrilliantPad is a mains powered, automated, self-cleaning indoor toilet for puppies and smaller sized dogs.
It has a very clever roller style design, which cleans up your dog (or puppy’s) poop and urine on autopilot.
How does it work? Is it any good? Let’s find out:
- The BrilliantPad comprises four main sections, the potty platform, the two rollers, the potty pad, and the control panel.
- The platform is where the dog stands to do their business. It is waterproof and has a lip to stop any spillage from making a mess in your home.
- The two rollers are for the puppy pad. It comes in a large roll; it is loaded on to one roller and automatically pulled across to the other roller after being used.
- The pad is pulled across the platform by the rollers.
- The control panel allows you to turn the machine on and off and control how quickly the pad is rolled across.
- You can set it to be moved every time the top uses the potty or one, two, or three times a day. You can also use the manual advance button for a fresh section of pad any time your dog needs one.
- It is also clever enough to know not to replace the pad while your dog is using it! This will avoid scaring your dog and making any unnecessary mess.
- After the pad has been used and is rolled up into the storage area, any waste is pulled in with it, and the odors are locked into the storage area.
- The BrilliantPad gives you automated, hygienic, odor-free waste storage.
- All you need to do is dispose of the old pad and replace it with a new one every few weeks (with average use).
- The dog’s platform area is 24 inches by 23 inches, so it is big enough for toy breeds up to medium-sized breeds.
- The manufacturers of BrilliantPad comply with Amazon’s 30-day return policy but at the cost of ten percent of the refundable amount.
- BrilliantPad and based in the United States, but some parts of the product are made in China.
- Overall we think it is an excellent product, and if you have a puppy or a small to medium-sized dog, we think this is probably the best dog potty that you can buy.
- It is not cheap; this product sits at the higher end of the price range. If you are on a budget, this is not the best option for you. (Don’t worry have reviewed an alternative to the BrilliantPad just below)
- Sadly, the manufacturers do not currently make this larger, so it is not suitable for larger breeds of dogs.
If you have to leave your dog at home a lot, or if you do not have access to a yard or convenient outdoor space.
And if you are not looking for a super cheap bargain, this could be the perfect dog toilet for you, your dog, and your home.
Especially if you like the idea of not having to clean up lots of dog urine poop! You can find out how much it costs on this link…
What About a Cheaper Alternative?
PetSafe Pet Loo | Pupster Passion Rating:
This doggy toilet made by PetSafe isn’t automated.
But it is effortless to use and easy to keep clean with a really clever way of storing and disposing of the dog’s waste.
Let’s look at it in more detail:
- This doggy toilet is made up of an artificial grass platform, a collection tray, and a storage box.
- The storage box comes with a special powder when urine runs through the tray into the box mixed with the powder and turns into a gel-like solid substance that is hygienic and odor-free.
- The gel can easily be disposed of; then, you just need to scoop up any poop and occasionally was the potty using water and soap. It is very easy to clean.
- You can buy this product in three different sizes. Small – 21” Length x 17” Width x 5” Height, Medium – 24 1/2” Length x 24 1/2” Width x 5” Height, and Large – 33” Length x 33” Width x 5” Height size options.
- So it is suitable for all sized dogs from the toy breeds right up the very large breed such as Mastiffs.
- It can be used inside or outside.
- It is chew resistant.
- This is a really great doggy toilet, easy to clean, easy to use, and well designed, we are happy to recommend it.
- We tried hard to find some faults with this product, but we really struggled. In customer reviews (on the dog owners forums), some dog owners said that the size suggestion was on the small side, so please check before buying.
- And it isn’t self-cleaning like the BrilliantPad.
How Do You Train a Dog to Use the Brilliant Pad?
When you buy the BrilliantPad Dog Potty, it comes with full training instructions from the manufacturer.
But in short, it is very similar to how you would train a dog to use normal puppy pads.
At certain times during the day when you think your dog would need to poop or pee, such as after naps, meals playing, or drinks, you would place them on the potty platform.
Keep them there until they do their business and reward them with praise and treats for being a good dog.
This short video gives some great potty training advice to give you an idea of what you need to do.
And as always, with any sort of dog training, consistency, repetition, and rewarding the desired behavior with praise and some treats is the key to quick and effective success.
Thanks for stopping by to read this review of the BrilliantPad Potty for Dogs.
We hope it has answered all your questions. Please feel free to take a look around the rest of our site.
The Pupster Passion Blogging Team