Having a dog is mostly awesome, but there are some downsides to it.
One of those is having to deal with your dog’s toilet needs.
If you have a big yard or you do not have to work away from home for long hours, this is much easier to deal with.
But for lots of dog owners, this just isn’t the way things are.
Many people have to work full time, and lots of us do not have big gardens to let our dogs use for their pooping and peeing.
So in this post, we will look in detail at the best indoor dog potty system to buy for your pet pooch.
We have looked at the most popular products on the market and selected what we think are the top five options.
We then gave each one an in-house rating out of five stars and written reviews of each, with the pros and cons listed.
This review is broken up into a few sections.
First, we have a glance comparison chart. If you are keen to get moving, you should start here.
After that, we have shared really detailed reviews of the dog potties.
Next to that, we have written a buyer’s guide to help you find the best puppy potty for your pooch.
So let’s get started and help you get this dog potty problem ticked off your list.
Dog Potty System Reviews At a Glance
|BrilliantPad Self-Cleaning Potty for Dogs. Check prices...
|PetSafe Pet Loo. Check prices...
|BringerPet Potty for Use Inside. Check prices...
|Any Pet Indoor Dog Toilet . Check prices...
|PuppyGoHere Doggy Litter Pan . Check prices...
|The links in the chart go to Amazon. Star ratings are given by Pupster Passion based on research. They are independent of the star rating on Amazon.
So are we promised earlier, we will now look at each of the five recommended indoor dog potties in much greater detail.
You will find the advantages and disadvantages of each one underneath the product images.
In-Depth Indoor Potty for Dogs Review
BrilliantPad Self-Cleaning Toilet for Dogs | Pupster Passion Rating:
For puppies and smaller dogs, this really is the best dog potty we found when doing our research.
It certainly isn’t the cheapest, but it is self-cleaning! Yes, you read that right; it is self-cleaning.
Let’s dive in and take a close look at how it works and why we like it so much.
- The BrilliantPad Self-Cleaning Indoor Dog Potty is electrically powered and has a large roll of super absorbent potty pad material.
- As a section of the pad is used by the dog, it is pulled along by the automatic rollers and hidden inside a smell proof section of the potty.
- It is can easily cope with both poop and urine. All the waste is sealed away in odor-free, hygienic storage until the roll is done and ready to be thrown away.
- So every time the dog uses the potty (or you can set it to replace the section of toilet pad one to three times per day), it will roll up and put away the used pad. Then replace it with a brand new, clean section.
- The potty pad roll is long enough to last for weeks (depending on how much use it gets).
- The roll of puppy pad is constructed from five layers of long-lasting but still 100% decomposable, highly absorbent material.
- One pad roll is equivalent to 21 traditional puppy pads. Once the roll is done, you simply throw it in the bin and replace it with a new one.
- And in case you were thinking about your dog’s safety, this high-tech dog potty has an intelligent sensor.
- So the motor that rolls up the used pee pads will not start moving if your dog is on the device.
- The manufacturers offer a high level of customer support, including live classes and free consultations.
- We really love this machine. If you want to absolute best dog potty (and your dog is under the weight limit), this is the best product for you.
- This automated, self-cleaning indoor dog potty is not cheap. It definitely comes at the high end of the price range.
- The manufacturers offer a thirty-day limited customer satisfaction guarantee, but you have to pay a 10% return fee, which seems to be deducted from your refund.
- Sadly this dog potty is limited to dogs of up to up to 25lbs in body weight. Do not worry if your dog is over that weight limit. We have a more suitable recommendation for coming up next.
PetSafe Pet Loo | Pupster Passion Rating:
Another great dog potty, and while this one is not automated and self-cleaning like the previous potty. It is suitable for larger dogs (as well as smaller ones).
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons:
- The Pet Loo from Pet Safe is suitable for indoor and outdoor use with a synthetic grass dog potty platform to encourage your dog to do what it needs to do.
- It provides great peace of mind for dog owners.
- If you have to leave your dog home alone for long periods of time. You can rest easy knowing that your dog won’t be distressed also that you won’t come home to any accidents or puddles!
- The man-made grass mat can easily be cleaned with soapy water; you just lift it out of the base and wash it with running water and soap.
- Underneath the fake grass platform is a disposable pee pod to catch the dog’s urine.
- Inside the pee pod, you put the special formulated Wee Sponge Powder, which absorbs the liquid and turns it into an odorless foam gel, which you just throw in the bin when it has filled the pod.s
- PetSafe has a U.S. based customer support phone line in case you need extra help with using the potty.
- They are a US-based pet manufacturing brand that has been making pet products for just under thirty years.
- You can buy indoor dog toilet in three different sizes, Small (21 in x 17 in x 5 in), Medium – (24 in x 24 in x 5 in), and Large (33 in x 33 in x 5 in).
- This is another really awesome product and second on our list of the best indoor dog potties for your dog to use inside or outside your home.
- Well, it doesn’t self-clean like the first product we reviewed, but it is very easy to clean, so that’s not a huge deal-breaker.
- Some dog owners who use this dog potty say (in social media posts) that the sizes are on the small size, so if you are unsure, please double-check before buying.
BringerPet Potty for Use Inside | Pupster Passion Rating:
This indoor dog toilet from BringerPet is a simple but effective potty system.
- The potty platform is made from soft and comfortable artificial grass, which helps your dog to feel more relaxed when doing their business.
- It has a three-layer system with a grass pad, a draining tray, and a tub to catch the dog’s urine.
- It is easy to use and easy to clean. Simply pull out the pee tray and throw away any liquids. Solids can be scooped up off the grass, and the grass can easily be washed with soapy water.
- The grass pad dimensions are 20” x 25”, so it might only be good to use with small and medium dogs.
- There doesn’t seem to be much thought put into controlling nasty smells with this model. Obviously, when you use an indoor dog toilet, this is important, so you might want to consider doing your research.
Any Pet Indoor Dog Toilet | Pupster Passion Rating:
This is a no-frills basic potty training tray. But it will still get the job done. Let’s take a look:
- This potty trainer has a very simple design, a mesh platform with a collection tray underneath for you to put pee pads.
- Liquids drain through the mesh and into the disposable pads.
- You simply lift the mesh and replace the dog pee pad once it has been soiled.
- As it is small, light, and easy to around, this will be easy to use for pet training your pooch.
- The design means your puppy can’t chew or play with the disposable dog potty pads, so they should last longer and give you more value for money.
- Unlike real grass potties, this plastic house-training tray can easily be cleaned with just soap and water.
- Comes in three different colors, including two different green colors. Which should simulate grass and help your dog understand the potty is for pooping and peeing (dogs have a natural instinct to go on grass).
- This indoor potty tray has no real odor control. So it will need a lot more time and effort from you to keep it clean and stop it from stinking out your home.
- The product dimensions 21.2 x 1.3 x 16.5 inches, so it is only suitable for puppies and small dogs. This one is no good if you own a larger breed.
Puppy Go Here Doggy Litter Pan | Pupster Passion Rating:
If you think of a cat litter tray, well, this is just like that, but it is a litter tray for dogs instead.
If you are looking for one of the more basic indoor dog toilet types, this one will suit you fine.
It is a very simple design but still gets the most important job done.
Let’s have a look in more detail:
- So, all you do is put dog litter or puppy pee pads in the litter tray and disposed of them once used.
- The collection tray is very easy to clean with soap and water.
- It comes with an easy to follow potty training guide.
- This tray comes in four different sizes, Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large, so it suitable for all different sized dogs.
- And you can choose from nine different colors, so you are sure you get a color that suits your home decor.
- This indoor potty has no really effective odor control. So it will need much more emptying and cleaning that the more advanced systems we shared further up this post.
- The dog could make a mess by dragging the disposable dog potty pads or the dog litter out of the tray and all over your home.
A Quick Conclusion
So, to sum up this review, in a nutshell, we think that the very best indoor dog potty for small and medium-sized dogs is the BrilliantPad Self-Cleaning Potty for Dogs. Check prices…
For larger dog breeds, then we suggest you take a look at the PetSafe Pet Loo. Check prices…
We are confident that you will get a good quality product and good value for money if you opt for either of these two potty systems.
Some Useful Links:
We like to cover topics in-depth to provide you with all information you might need, so here are some other articles we have written you might want to check out:
- This one goes into detail on the Best Artificial Grass for Dogs.
- This post is a Fresh Patch Review (real grass to use as an indoor doggy toilet).
- We also did a Doggie Lawn Review (more real grass for your dog).
- And we did a much more in-depth BrilliantPad Review.
- In this post, we ask what is the best potty training spray?
- Click here if you want to know how to get a dog to pee in a new place.
Ok, if those don’t take your fancy, let’s keep going with this post…
Indoor Potties – A Buyers Guide
So that is our indoor dog potty review completed, so we can take a look at the principle features you need to keep an eye out for.
What do you need to pay the most attention to as you shop around?
What important features will you be happy you made sure of having in your final choice?
Let’s take a look…
- How Hygienic Is It?
- Is the Potty Easy to Clean?
- How Well Does it Eliminate Any Nasty Smells?
- It is OK to be Used Inside and Outside?
- Is the Puppy Potty Suitable for Puppies and Adult Dogs?
- How Large Is It?
- Does it Come with Synthetic Grass or a Potty Pad?
- Do the Manufacturers Offer and Money-Back Guarantee?
How Hygienic Is It? – Obviously, when you use an indoor potty, you need to be more concerned with hygiene. The main thing we suggest you look out for here is how is the dog’s waste stored and disposed of.
Is the Potty Easy to Clean? – Both from a hygiene perspective but also for the smell, you need to able to clean the indoor potty easily.
How Well Does it Eliminate Any Nasty Smells? – When a dog can go outside, the odor is not a big issue but inside, using a paws indoor dog potty, you need to be confident that the smells will be contained.
It is OK to be Used Inside and Outside? – Is it ok for your dog to use the dog potty inside and outside if necessary?
Is the Puppy Potty Suitable for Puppies and Adult Dogs? – If you have a young puppy, will they still be able to use the potty trainer when they grow up into a fully grown adult dog?
How Large Is It? – It will be best to make sure you double-check the sizing guidelines and measure your dog to make sure that it will be big enough for your dog to use it.
Does it Come with Synthetic Grass or a Potty Pad? – What sort of surface will the dog sit on when it uses the indoor potty, also? You should make sure that it is easy to get replacement grass or pee pads when you need to.
Do the Manufacturers Offer and Money-Back Guarantee? – Some types of indoor potty come with a money-back guarantee, but most do not due to the difficulty of returning a product like this. So it is always best to double-check before buying.
Frequently Asked Questions
Anything related to a dog’s pooping and peeing tends to create a lot of commonplace questions.
These are just some of the most frequently asked ones relating to using a litter tray for dogs.
- Indoor Real Grass Dog Potty or Artificial Grass Which is Better?
- Do Indoor Dog toilets Work?
- Can Dogs be Potty Trained in a Litter Box?
- How Do You Train a Puppy for an Indoor Potty?
Indoor Real Grass or Artificial Grass Which is Better?
In case you are not aware, there are a couple of very well known services that sell and deliver a small box of fresh, live real grass for your dog to go potty on.
The two most well-known brands offering this service are Fresh Patch and Doggie Lawn.
Both have similar but slightly different subscription-based business models, and both seem very popular according to customer reviews.
So what are the Benefits of Real Grass Dog Potty vs. Using Synthetic Grass?
The pet brands behind the real grass dog potties claim that a dog will much prefer relieving itself on real grass and that plastic grass is dirtier, less hygienic, and much smellier.
The people who sell artificial grass dog potties would say that their products are very easy to clean, give much better value for money and work just as well as real grass.
To be totally honest, we do not think there is much in it. We think both can work great for your dog.
But unless your dog is really fussy and will not use the artificial grass, we do not think that the extra cost of a monthly subscription is worth it in most cases.
So the grass patch disposable indoor dog trays made with actual live grass are probably not worth it.
Do Indoor Dog Potties Work?
Yes, indoor dog potties work really well!
They are an awesome option for pet owners who have to leave their dogs home alone a lot.
Or for people who do not have easy access to an outdoor potty area for their dogs.
It can take a little while to get the dog potty trained to use the indoor dog potty, but they are so easy to use after that.
You just have to remove the mess and give them a clean now and then.
This means your dog does not have the stress of needing to go outside to pee or poop.
Can Dogs be Potty Trained in a Litter Box?
Yes, you absolutely can use a dog litter box in your home to potty train your dogs.
We recommend that you buy a dog litter tray that has been specifically made for dogs as the ones made for cats probably won’t be tough enough to deal with dog’s chewing/size/potty mess/etc.
Once you have the litter box dog tray, you can start potty training your dog to use the tray using the advice we have shared directly below this section.
How Do You Train a Puppy for an Indoor Potty?
So after you buy the indoor dog potty, how do you train the dog?
How do you get to teach your dog to use an indoor potty system and puppy pads?
Well, we have the answer for you! This short video explains the basics of indoor potty training your dog.
Even if your dog can go outside on real grass, these training tips will get them jumping on to the potty in no time at all.
Thanks for Stopping By!
That is all that we have for this blog post review about indoor solutions for your dog’s pooping and peeing problems.
We hope you now have all the information and advice you need to make an informed choice for your pet pooch and even teach your dog how to use their new doggy toilet and puppy pads.
In the age of the internet, we have the choice of so many different pet products to potentially buy for our beloved pets.
As pet owners ourselves, we do our best to cut through the noise and help you find the very best solutions for your canine companions.
We put a huge amount of work into each review, so we really appreciate anyone taking the time to visit our website.
Thanks, and please feel free to take a good look around the other blog posts throughout the site.
If you scroll up on a computer or down on a mobile, you will find tons of links to interesting content that will hopefully help you and your canine companion live very happy lives together!