If you have seen any of the best GoPro dog POV videos going viral on social media, you will know how cool they can be. Seeing the action from a dog’s point of view is awesome, and it gives us a little insight into how life is for a dog. If the dog is running, jumping, and swimming, then even better!
So in this post, we will look at the best GoPro dog harness. We will also (further down look at the best dog harness for the SJCAM, the Sony Action Cam, and other top action cameras). We have provided a quick comparison chart of the best dog harnesses for using GoPro on a dog.
You can use this chart if you are in a rush and just want to know what is the best harness. After that, we will look at each of the recommended dog harnesses in detail.
The Best GoPro Harness for Dogs a Quick Review
|Preview||Best Gopro Dog Harness||Rating|
|GoPro Fetch Dog Harness (for GoPro Cameras). Check prices...|
|SmilePowo Dog Harness. Check prices...|
|PROtastic Deluxe Dog Mount. Check prices...|
|The links in the chart go to Amazon. Star ratings are given by Pupster Passion based on research. They are independent of the star rating on Amazon.|
Next, we will look at these best GoPro dog harness products in more detail. We have listed the pros and cons of each model.
If you want to really make sure you are getting the best choice for you and your dog, this section will help.
Best Dog Harness for Go Pro Camera In-Depth Reviews
GoPro Fetch Dog Harness (All GoPro Cameras) | Pupster Passion Review
- This GoPro Fetch Dog Harness is the official GoPro mount for dogs.
- Designed and built by the GoPro team to fit action cameras onto your pet pooch.
- Made to capture the world from the dog’s point of view.
- This Fetch harness is suitable for all GoPro camera models.
- The GoPro Fetch has two mounting locations on the chest area and back of the dog harness for different camera filming perspectives.
- This GoPro dog mount is one size, fully adjustable (with multiple points of adjustment), and can fit dogs from approximately 15 pounds up to a 120 pound dog (around 7kg to 54kg).
- The GoPro dog harness is washable, waterproof, and has no problems getting muddy or sandy, so it is suitable for all types of doggy adventures.
- The two-camera mounts on the GoPro Fetch both have quick release bases to make attaching and removing the GoPro camera really easy.
- The chest mount harness design also has a camera tether to secure the GoPro camera to the dog.
- Comes with a one-year limited warranty on parts and labor.
- We really think that this official GoPro fetch is by far the best GoPro dog harness. It is highly recommended.
- This is not a dog walking harness, its only job is to be a GoPro dog mount, so it doesn’t have leash attachments or a dog lift handle.
- For a smaller dog, the chest GoPro mounts have to be removed, so you only have the choice of the back point instead of the two mounting locations you get with larger breeds.
- Will not fit dogs such as the super small dog toy breeds.
- Reading the FAQ section of one of the sites that sell the official GoPro fetch, we can confirm that the dog is not included! Yes, someone did ask that, and yes, we hope they were joking!
SmilePowo Dog Harness
- This GoPro dog harness has camera mounts on its back for a fixed position to capture the world from your dog’s perspective. It also has a fully adjustable dog chest back strap to find the best fit for the harness.
- The harness itself is breathable, durable, washable, and visible at night. It is made of nylon, denim, and breathable air mesh. The harness is soft and comfortable for your dog to wear. The 3M reflective material ensures your dog is visible at night.
- It is also incredibly easy to put on your dog due to its easy to use and simple design. Slide the harness on, clip it in, and the adjustable straps allow you to find the perfect fit. There will be no chafing, choking, or rubbing.
- It is a dual-purpose harness suitable for medium and large dogs. You can also connect a leash to the harness for a walk.
- The D leash clip is ideal for both casual walking and jog sessions with your dog.
- The air mesh on this harness has soft padded construction and is comfortable.
- Some found it difficult to keep the GoPro upright when installed on this harness. The screw meant to keep the camera mounted becomes loose due to the dog’s activity.
- Since the camera mounts on the dog’s back in between the shoulder blades, the camera may sometimes shake back and forth if there is excessive movement.
PROtastic Deluxe Dog Mount | Pupster Passion Review
- The PROtastic Deluxe dog mount is a high-quality harness style mount that has been designed to fit larger dogs like a Border Collie or bigger. The body harness is adjustable between 25 and 35.5-inches. The front strap can be adjusted between 23.5 and 29.5-inches. These adjustment points make finding a more customized fit for your dog easier.
- Unlike similar dog camera mounts, this mount stays securely in place and will not rotate.
- The harness includes a GoPro-style buckle mount and screw that allows for easy and quick camera removal while still leaving the harness on the dog.
- Has an eyelet where you can attach your dog’s leash.
- Comes at a more than affordable price, especially when compared to similar brands.
- Has been used by professional camera crews worldwide.
- Some users report that the mount is made of plastic and was not as durable as expected. Some plastic GoPro mounts broke quickly, but the harness was of higher quality and much more durable.
Ok, we know that we have covered the best GoPro dog harness. Let’s talk about the other brands and manufacturers on the market.
What About Other Brands of Action Cameras?
The Best Dog Harness for SJCAM, Sony Action Cam, YI Action Camera, TomTom Bandit
GoPro isn’t the only action camera on the market. Some of the other most popular models are the SJCAM, the Sony Action Cam, the YI Action Camera, and the TomTom Bandit.
What is the best harness for dogs to use with these camera models?
As you will see from our reviews above, some of the harnesses we mentioned will take other types of action cameras, not just GoPros. But if you can’t find a dog harness from the list that will fit your camera, then the cheapest and easiest option is to use one of the harnesses listed above and get a cheap conversion kit to convert the mount to suit your cam.
Action Camera Conversion Kits
So, what are the types of conversion kits for your needs? And which do we recommend as the best choice for your GoPro for dogs setup?
The best thing you do is click this link and find the best GoPro Mounting Adapters for Dogs.
GoPro Harnesses for Dogs | Buyer’s Guide
What are the key factors and features you need to consider when looking for a GoPro dog harness or a GoPro dog mount for a similar type of action camera?
- The harness should be adjustable to get a comfortable but secure fit, which will keep the camera safe and give you the best chance of getting decent footage (four or more adjustment points is ideal).
- Ideally, the harness would have a camera mount on the chest area and the back to give you two perspectives from which to film.
- If you want to use the harness as a normal dog walking harness and mount the GoPro, it should have one or (ideally) two least attachment points.
- You should try to buy the GoPro dog mount with a camera tether or video camera hanging belt so that you have two ways of mounting the GoPro to the harness in a fixed position.
- It should be waterproof so you can film your dog swimming, splashing, and digging. It is also easily washable.
- It would be best to look around for one with a good level of high customer reviews.
- The mounting locations should fit your specific GoPro or another camera mount.
- The webbing, straps, and buckles used to put the GoPro harness on and off should be quick release, easy to use, and easy to adjust (no matter the dog’s body type). These adjustment points prove valuable when fitting the harness to your dog.
- The GoPro dog mount should be made from a tough enough material to cope with digging around in the mud, splashing in the water, swimming, playing in the sand, and a bit of rough and tumble so you can get the best dog GoPro dog footage.
How Do You Attach a GoPro to a Dog Harness?
To get the world’s perspective according to your dog, you can attach a GoPro to their harness. When attaching your camera to the dog’s harness, you want to make sure that the camera and harness do not restrict your dog’s movements in any way. Only use a harness that is specifically designed for a dog.
If not, your dog won’t have the freedom of movement they need and could become injured. Also, check the sizes. Some harnesses come in different sizes, while others are more of a one-size option. Find what is most appropriate for your dog.
See if the dog harness has clips to make it easier to put on and take off. If you can avoid pulling the harness over your dog’s head or lifting their feet to get into it, that would be the best. This will be especially true if you have a long hair breed. When the materials of the harness rub against your dog’s fur, it can cause matting.
Best Way to Get a Smooth Video Quality when Using an Action Camera on a Dog?
If you want to get a really good quality dog POV footage using your GoPro action camera, you need to use a gimbal and GoPro mounts.
Some GoPros have image stabilization built-in, but this is nowhere near as effective as using a gimbal. For the best level of image stabilization, you need a gimbal.
Gimbals are a little gadget that will help your GoPro Fetch or other cameras to have more horizontal and steady when your dog is moving around.
Without getting too geeky or technical about all of this, a gimbal is a GoPro support that pivots on one or more different axis allowing the camera to remain steady when the dog moves around a lot.
What Is the Best GoPro Gimbal for Use on a Dog Harness?
FeiyuTech WG2X 3-Axis Gimbal for GoPro| Pupster Passion Review
- Compatible with a GoPro Hero Series and GoPro Session Series cameras.
- Perfect for getting better video footage when using the best GoPro dog mounts to get those awesome canine action shots.
- Design and built to be lighter than a normal gimbal, so great for use with your dog.
- It has a 360-degree rotated angle tilting and panning.
- We trawled the internet looking for more customer reviews of this product, and everyone who bought it seemed to really like it.
- This is a seriously cool kit! We cannot recommend this GoPro accessory enough if you want to take the best GoPro dog video footage with maximum stability.
- The price tag is higher than we would like, but gimbals are not cheap, especially those worth buying.
- Splash-proof but not fully waterproof.
To see how cool this FeiyuTech gimbal really is, check out this short little video from the manufacturer.
More Tips for Taking Great Videos With Your Dog Using a GoPro Dog Mount
Once you have bought the GoPro harness, your first job should be to get the dog used to and comfortable wearing the harness.
At first, just try the harness without the GoPro to see how the dog reacts to wearing it.
Some dogs will hate wearing a harness at first, but usually, most dogs are fine with it.
If your dog doesn’t like it, you should take your time and use praise and treats to get them to be ok with it slowly.
Next, try the dog with the harness and the GoPro camera attached. This will change the weight, balance, and feel of your dog’s harness, so watch and see how they react.
Finally, before you go out with your dog to film some adventures, we suggest letting the dog wear the GoPro and harness around the house.
As the dog gets more and more used to it, it will act more naturally. You are much more likely to get some good quality footage when you start filming.
Make Sure the GoPro Dog Harness is Well Fitted on Your Dog
The other important thing you can do to improve the GoPro dog footage you get is to make sure that the harness is fitted well each time you use it.
You will always get jumpy footage when the dog is moving fast, but at least you can eliminate any unnecessary wobble from the harness not being fitted correctly.
An Awesome Dog POV Video Before You Go
Before you leave, check out this awesome GoPro dog video. Gohan the Husky says home with the GoPro dog harness, and his owners go out for a while. There is something really cute about watching dogs while wearing the best GoPro dog mounts at home.
As dog owners, we always wonder what our pets get up to when we are not looking, and now we get to find out!
Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read this article about how to put a GoPro on a dog using the best GoPro dog harness.
We do our best to share helpful and time-saving reviews of the best pet products with every one of our articles.