If your pup manages to escape from normal dog collars and harnesses, then our review of the best escape-proof harnesses for dogs will help you to keep them under control.
To most dog owners, their pet dogs are a part of the family.
The thought of losing them is terrifying, so making sure they can’t escape from their harnesses when out on a walk is really important.
But please don’t worry!
We are here to help with detailed and in-depth reviews to help you find the best escape-proof dog harness for your pooch.
Quick Overview of our Most Recommended Harnesses
|The Harnesses||Our Rating||Info and Pricing|
|Highly recommended - Check Prices...|
|A great mid-range choice - Check Prices...|
|Perfect for smaller budgets - Check Prices...|
|The links in the chart go to Amazon. Star ratings are given by Pupster Passion based on research. They are independent of the star rating on Amazon.|
Best Escape-Proof Dog Harnesses in Detail
We have listed the Pros and Cons of each one with links so you can check out pricing and find even more information.
BELPRO Escape Proof Dog Harness
- The harness is made from a durable, lightweight, non-toxic, polyester outer layer and a soft, breathable inner mesh.
- The edging of all the padding is a highly-visible, reflective tape to make sure that your dog is easy to spot at night.
- The webbing comes with 5 points of adjustment. This allows you to get a fit that is comfortable for the dog but also secure enough to make sure they can’t escape from the harness.
- A padded, reinforced handle sits on the dog’s back, allowing you to assist the dog if they are struggling to get over certain objects. You can also use this handle to control your dog if they are scared or aggressive.
- The chest and belly plates are padded to ensure comfort for your dog even on longer walks.
- You can choose from Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large. So no matter what breed of dog you have, you should be able to get a good fit.
- It comes in four colors, Black, Blue, Green, and Orange.
- It only has one leash attachment point on the top of the harness. We would prefer to see one on the chest plate as well.
- It is not obvious where this dog harness is made, which probably means it is not made in the United States.
Embark Adventure Dog Harness
- Designed to be highly adjustable, this harness has extra-long straps and multiple adjustment points so you can ensure a comfy but still secure fit on your dog.
- Easy-clip buckles to make putting it on and off as simple as possible.
- It has two leash attachment points, one on the top of the harness and one on the chest panel. This is great as it gives you extra control over the dog.
- Designed not to put pressure on your dog’s throat if they try to pull on the leash.
- Made from strong military-grade nylon with a reinforced and tripled strength front metal D-Ring for increased safety & durability.
- Reflective trim to help keep your dog safe on your nighttime walks.
- The harness has a handle on the top which can be used for controlling or lifting your dog should the need arise.
- Available for you to buy in four sizes, Small, Medium, Large, and XL.
- It comes in four different color schemes, Black, Orange, Pink, and Teal Blue.
- This escape-proof dog harness comes with a one-year parts warranty (always read the small print before buying if a warranty is important to you).
- It is not obvious where this product is made, which may mean it is not made in the USA.
Didog Dog Harnesses for Escape Artist Dogs
- Specifically designed for escape artist dogs. The harness has multiple points of tension and adjustment to make sure that your dog is both totally secure but also comfortable.
- It has a breathable inner lining for increased comfort.
- The webbing is stitched with thick, highly reflective tape for increased safety when walking your dog at night.
- It has a sturdy D-ring leash attachment and a handle in case you need to either lift or control your dog.
- The manufacturers offer a full satisfaction guarantee.
- This harness seems to only come in two sizes: Chest:23-32 INCH/Length:10 INCH Chest:25.5-38.5 INCH/Length:13 INCH, which isn’t ideal if you have a tiny or a huge dog.
- It only comes in two colors, not the end of the world, but ideally, we would like to see more choice here.
- It only has one D-ring leash attachment. Ideally, we would prefer it if it had one on the chest plate as well.
Gooby Escape Free Dog Harness
- A cheap and cheerful pet harness that could be perfect for you if you own a small pup.
- The clever design means that even if the dog wriggles and bends its torso, the harness will not become loose enough for them to escape from.
- It is very easy to put on and off, your dog just steps in the harness loops, and then they are clipped in with a plastic buckle.
- The harness is very easy to clean. Just machine wash and then line dry.
- You can buy this harness in one of four sizes, X-Small, Small, Medium, and Large. (It will only fit dogs up to 35lbs).
- You can choose to buy the harness for your pup in one of 6 colors including, Blue, Hot Pink, Orange, Purple, Red, or Turquoise.
- This harness is not suitable for a dog owner who has large breeds. (Some of the other escape-proof dog harnesses we have reviewed on this page would be much better).
SCENEREAL Anti Escape Dog Harness
- This escape-proof harness has five adjustment points allowing you to create a comfortable but still secure fit around your dog’s body and legs.
- The belly and chest panels are soft and padded for all-day comfort.
- There are two leash attachment points on the harness, which gives you much more control over your pooch if they tend to pull against the leash.
- On the top of the harness is a thick, padded handle. You can use this to control or lift your dog.
- It is built with highly reflective tape for increased visibility and safety when walking your dog at night.
- You can buy this harness for your pet pup in the three different size options, Small, Medium, and Large.
- As far as well can tell, this harness only comes in one color, so not ideal if you like your pet pup to be color coordinated!
To wrap up this review of escape-proof dog harness, we would suggest that overall the best option for your dog is most probably the BELPRO Escape Proof Dog Harness. You find out how much it costs here.
If you are on a tight budget, we think that the SCENEREAL Anti Escape Dog Harness is a great option and should be both escape-proof and long-lasting (if you look after it). Find out how much it costs here.
How Do I Stop My Dog From Escaping a Harness?
- Obviously, you need to buy a good quality escape-proof harness for your dog; this is an excellent first step.
- You then need to take the time to read the instructions and make sure you know how to use it correctly. (You might also want to check YouTube and see if the manufacturers have shared any videos showing how to fit and use the harness).
- Next, you need to practice fitting it carefully and correctly so that it is comfortable for the dog to walk and run in but still escape-proof.
- Over time as you use it again and again with your dog, make sure it is always well-fitted (dogs sometimes lose or put on weight, so the straps may need adjusting).
- Also, keep a close eye out for any wear and tear on the harness straps. This is even more important if your dog may be tempted to chew on the webbing!
Features to Look for in An Escape Proof Harness
When you are buying a dog harness that is designed to be impossible for your pooch to escape from, what features should you look out for?
What makes the difference in terms of being confident your dog won’t be able to escape while also being able to enjoy being out for their walk?
- Multiple adjustment points are a great feature as they give you the ability to get a safe and secure fit for your dog. This means that it is much harder for them to wriggle free from the leash and allow you to keep your dog safe.
- Strong D-ring leash attachments will make it less likely for the leash to snap off the harness.
- If you want your dogs to wear their escape-free harness all day, then some padding on the chest and belly strap is a great feature to have.
- Reflective stitching or tape is a great idea for increased visibility at night.
- Ideally, the harness will have two attachment points for the leash. This gives you much more control over your dogs, especially if they tend to pull.
How to Train Your Dog to Walk in a Harness
Once you have found the best escape-proof dog harness for your pooch, you need to learn how to walk them in it.
Using a harness is different for both you and your dog, so taking a few minutes to watch and learn from this short video should help you get moving in the right direction:
Ok, so that is the end of this post reviewing escape-proof dog harnesses, and we really hope that it prevents your dog’s next escape attempt from being successful!
Thanks for taking the time to visit our site. We are always very grateful to every one of our visitors.
You might also want to read this post with a broader review of the best types of harnesses for dogs.