Are you thinking about buying an elevated dog bed for your pet pooch?
Are you looking for the best raised dog beds on the market?
In this post, we have examined some of the best options available to buy and then done a deep dive review of each one.
We have also shared our thoughts on the benefits of elevated dog beds and why they are better (in some circumstances, for some dogs).
If you are in a hurry and just want a quick review, the chart directly below is the best place to get started.
If you want a detailed breakdown of the raised beds we reviewed, please keep on reading.
The Best Raised Dog Bed – A Quick Review
|Elevated Dog Beds||Pupster Passion|
|K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed. Check prices...|
|Kuranda Chew Proof Raised Dog Bed. Check prices...|
|K&H Original Bolster Elevated Pet Bed. Check prices...|
|K&H Original Bolster Elevated Pet Bed. Check prices...|
|AmazonBasics Cooling Elevated Dog Bed. Check prices...|
|The links in the chart go to Amazon. Star ratings are given by Pupster Passion based on research. They are independent of the star rating on Amazon.|
What are the Benefits of Raised Beds for Dogs?
When and Why Are Elevated Dog Beds Better?
What are the main reasons why you should consider buying one of these types of beds?
- The dog is raised off a cold, hard, or damp floor.
- Air can circulate underneath the dog’s bed. This keeps them cooler in hot weather and reduces the build-up of mold and mildew in damper conditions.
- For disabled, old, injured, obese, or larger dog breeds, they can be much easier to get in and out of.
- As these dog beds tend to be much stronger than mattress-style dog beds, they are usually much more chew-proof.
- If the dog bed is raised, it is better for canine hygiene. The beds’ sleeping area is usually very easy to wipe down, and it is straightforward to keep the space underneath them clean and hygienic. It’s even a good idea to put a puppy training pad underneath the bed especially if the dog is not able to get out as often and has a wetting accident.
- Most dogs prefer sleeping a bit off the ground, just like us humans tend to prefer our beds to be up off the floor, so do most dogs.
- Dog beds that are raised off the ground are orthopedic. This means they fully support the dog’s joints without creating painful pressure points.
- This feature is great for all dogs but especially good for dogs with arthritis, hip dysplasia, general joint problems, or other aches and pains that make sleeping less comfortable than normal.
So, now that we have covered the advantages, now let’s look for the best elevated dog bed for your pup.
The Best Elevated Bed for Pet Dogs – A Detailed Review
As promised are now going to look at each of our top five choices in detail.
We have listed the advantages and disadvantages of the five raised dog beds, so hopefully, you will find it much easier to decide which one you want to buy.
K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed | Pupster Passion Rating:
This is one of the best elevated dog beds that money can buy. It is very tough, chew-proof, and comes with a good warranty.
- The K9 Ballistics Elevated Dog Bed is about as chew-proof as a dog bed can get. So if you need a raised dog bed for a destructive chewer dog, this is the best option.
- It is made from an aluminum frame and a tough, ripstop ballistic fabric, bed sling that resists chewing and scratch and digging.
- As this is an elevated dog bed, you get all the advantages of airflow under the dog (to reduce body heat), less effort for the dog to get in and out of bed, increased hygiene, and a very comfortable pet dog.
- Available to buy in Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, and even Giant sizes. So it is perfect for all breeds of dog from toy breeds to very large dogs such as Great Danes and Mastiffs.
- It has been designed to fit into standard sizes of dog crates, and it can be used indoors or outdoors in all seasons.
- It is waterproof and water-resistant, so if your dog is incontinent or you have a new puppy, this makes dealing with accidents much easier.
- The bed’s simple design means this dog bed is very easy to clean. Just wipe down the sleeping surface with a damp cloth.
- You can buy this dog raised bed in five colors, including two camo color schemes.
- This K9 bed for dogs comes with a 120 Day Chew Proof Armored Warranty. Here is what the manufacturers promise their customers. “If your dog chews through or damages any part of their bed within 120 days of receiving it, we will replace the damaged component(s) once free of charge”.
- Another nice feature of this bed is that it is delivered assembled, all you do is quickly screw the legs in, and it is ready for your dog to sleep on.
- This elevated dog bed is at a higher price point, so if you are looking for something on a lower budget, the beds below might be more suitable.
Kuranda Chew Proof Raised Dog Bed | Pupster Passion Rating:
Another excellent quality elevated dog bed. We really like this one from Kuranda. Let’s find out why.
- This raised dog bed from Kuranda is made from PVC tubing and a Cordura fitted bed sheet (sleeping surface) for the dog to lie on.
- This bed is built to be chew-proof, and like all elevated beds for dogs, it comes with the same advantages of joint support, air circulation, hygiene, etc.
- The tough but simple design makes it very easy to clean, and it is guaranteed to stand up to frequent cleaning.
- It is available for you to buy in four stylish colors.
- It can be bought in six different sizes, Mini, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, and XX-Large. Ensuring you can get the perfect sizes for your dog to stretch out on.
- It comes with a one-year warranty and is suitable for use indoors and outdoors.
- This elevated dog bed does not come assembled, but it is very easy to assemble. So even though you have to put it together, it shouldn’t be a major hassle.
- It might not be suitable for super heavy dogs. Check with the details before buying if your dog is a monster!
K&H Original Bolster Elevated Pet Bed | Pupster Passion Rating:
Another great option this time from K&H Pet Products, as well as the elevated design, this dog cot also has built-in bolster cushions for your dog to rest their head-on.
- This bed is suitable for use inside and outside. The bolster pillows, frame, and canopy sheet are all water and weatherproof.
- The sheet that the dog lies on is made from 600 denier nylon fabric, which is waterproof, bacteria, mold, and mildew resistant for a more hygienic bed.
- The bed has a breathable mesh center fabric, allowing more air circulation and cooling for the dog in Summer/hot weather.
- You can buy this raised bed from K&H pet products in three different sizes, Small, Medium, and Large, so it is suitable for most breeds and cope with dogs that weigh over 150lbs.
- It is very easy to assemble, and the beds come with non-skid, rubber feet on all four legs.
- It is very easy to clean, the cover can be machine washed, and all parts of the bed can be wiped with a damp cloth.
- It comes with a one-year limited warranty from K&H.
- The elevated dog bed is made in only one color.
- Some customer reviews (on YouTube and Facebook) suggest confusion over sizing, so please take the time to measure it carefully. If in doubt, contact the manufacturer (K&H) or vendor before buying.
Veehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed | Pupster Passion Rating:
At a lower price point, this fabric and powder-coated steel raised dog bed made by Vehoo Pet Products is another good option for your dogs.
Let’s take a look at it in more detail.
- This Vehoo elevated bed has a breathable, mesh fabric center for the dog to sleep on. This provides comfort, joint support and is great for keeping the dog cool during those hot Summer months.
- The fabric is waterproof, UV light resistant, and breathable.
- The dog’s bed frame is made from powder-coated steel with non-slid rubber feet on all of the legs.
- This elevated bed for dogs is fine for both indoor and outdoor use.
- It is available for you to buy in four sizes, Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large, and is suitable to use on all sizes of dogs, from toy breeds to giants.
- The Extra Large bed has additional brace support to hold the weight of any super heavyweight dogs.
- You can also choose from seven really stylish colors. The designers did an outstanding job on this. If you are very house proud, we think you might really like this option.
- Easy to put together, with no complicated tools required.
- Some owner reviews (on social media) suggest that this elevated dog bed might not be suitable for aggressive and destructive chewers.
- So if your dog destroys things quite often, one of the elevated beds reviewed above might be a better option.
AmazonBasics Cooling Elevated Dog Bed | Pupster Passion Rating:
Part of the very popular AmazonBasics brand is one of the best elevated dog beds for pet owners looking for a lower price point.
- Made with a strong metal frame, rubber feet, and a breathable mesh fabric for increased airflow around the dog’s body.
- Easy to build and easy to clean.
- It is so easy to assemble; it makes a great bed for camping, vacations, and other exciting canine adventurers.
- As with all elevated dog beds, this one supports the dog’s joints, it is easier for dogs to lie down and get out of, and it has air circulation for cooling and hygiene.
- AmazonBasics sell this elevated dog bed in five sizes, Extra Small, Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large.
- This elevated doggy bed is backed by a limited Amazon Basics warranty.
- The fabric can only be hand-washed. It is not washing machine proof.
- Limited colors are available.
- Some social media customer reviews say they struggled to put the bed together, but maybe they are just bad at following instructions?
Raised Dog Beds a Guide for Buyers
When looking for the best elevated dog beds, what are the key features you should consider to help you find a good one?
You want to keep your dog as comfortable and as happy as possible.
What do you need from the best dog cot to make sure it gets the job done? Let’s take a look:
- Size Matters! (and Color if You are Very Houseproud)
- How Chew Proof is the Bed, and is this Backed by a Warranty?
- How Easy is the Elevated Pet Cot Bed to Assemble?
- How Easy is it to Wash and Wipe?
- What is the Frame Made of, and Does it Have Rubber Feet?
- What is the Fabric Made of?
- Is it Safe for Indoor and Outdoor Use?
Size Matters! (and Color if You are Very Houseproud)
Obviously, you need to buy the right-sized dog bed for your dog, but it might be a little bit more complicated than you think.
With elevated dog beds, there are two dimensions you need to take into account, the size of the frame and the size of the fabric section.
The frame sizes tell you how much floor space the bed will take up, whether it fits in a certain size of dog crate, etc.
The fabric section’s size will tell you how much room the dog will have on the bed to stretch out or curl up.
How Chew-Proof is the Bed, and is this Backed by a Warranty?
If your dog loves to chew random objects into tiny little pieces, you need to consider it.
Buying a bed with a metal framework that also comes with some sort of no-chew guarantee or warranty is probably your best bet.
How Easy is the Elevated Pet Bed to Assemble?
This matters for more than just when you first buy the bed. You might want to take the bed with you when you go to stay with friends or family, or maybe when you take the dog camping.
So being able to dismantle and put it back together easily can be really useful.
How Easy is it to Wash and Wipe?
Is the fabric material removable and machine washable? If not, is it easy to wipe down with a wet cloth?
What is the Frame Made of, and Does it Have Rubber Feet?
A metal frame, either aluminum or powder-coated steel, is the most durable option and will be great for use inside and outside.
PVC/plastic elevated dog beds can also be great but check the weight limit if you have large dogs and think twice if your four-legged friend loves to chew.
What is the Fabric Made Of?
As we have already discussed, one of the main benefits of having a dog bed raised off the floor is increased air circulation.
To really take advantage of this, elevated dog beds should be made from a mesh, breathable fabric.
This will allow for maximum air circulation around the dog’s body.
Is it Safe for Indoor and Outdoor Use?
Can the dog be used outdoor? In hot, cold, or wet conditions?
By the way … do you have a nervous dog that gets upset when you leave the house or when it hears an unfamiliar noise? If yes, then take a look at this type of bed to keep your furry baby safe.
Hopefully, this shortlist will help you to find the best elevated dog bed for your pet pooch and help them get a great night’s sleep every night.
And to Finish Off this Post
Here is a short video of a dog owner explaining the benefits of elevated cooling pet beds and why this type of bed comes with some advantages built into the design.
Raised beds are designed to provide elevated cooling in hotter climates.
They are great for disabled dogs, do not create tender pressure points, and are easy to clean. What is not to like?
And just take a minute to appreciate his two gorgeous dogs lazing around so comfortably on their pet cot bed. What a beautiful pair of pups!
The last thing for us to do is to thank you to you for coming to visit our site.
We are dedicated to helping dog owners love and care for their pet dogs in the best way possible whilst not breaking the bank.
So we always feel fortunate and appreciative when people take the time to visit our website and read our content.
We hope this post helps you find a really good quality elevated dog bed for your lovely pet pooch and that they find it a lovely cooling bed to sleep on.