Potty training a dog can be one of the most frustrating parts of pet training. Some dogs will take to house breaking on their own and some take a lot of oversight from the trainer.
If your puppy needs a little more encouragement to go pee or poop in a particular place, an attractant spray made for housebreaking might just be exactly what you need. Potty training spray is an excellent tool to use with your other training techniques.
Table of Contents
- Training Sprays – Our Top Picks
- Do these Dog Training Sprays Even Work?
- Should You Try a House Training Spray with Your Pet Pooch?
- Dog Potty Training Spray – Buyer’s Guide
- Canine Potty Training Spray FAQ’s
Training Sprays – Our Top Picks
During our review process, we looked at many different websites that sell these sprays and read the customer ratings and reviews.
You know you are getting not just the Pupster Passion team rating for the spray but also thoughts from hundreds of previous customers.
Bodhi Dog Potty Training Spray – Top Pick:
- TRAIN YOUR PET WHERE TO URINATE: Attract your puppy or dog to your preferred potty location using our dog potty training spray. With a consistent…
- HELP SHORTEN HOUSE BREAKING TIME: Consistency and positive potty training reinforcement are essential to help shorten housebreaking time. Remember the…
- FOR INDOOR AND OUTDOOR TRAINING: Our dog training spray works effectively for both indoor and outdoor training. Simply select your preferred area and…
- Attractant: Designed to train your dog where to urinate with an attractant scent to encourage your dog to pee.
- Use it Anywhere: It can be used inside, outside, on grass, artificial grass, potty pads, or wherever you want the dog to pee.
- Safe: It is totally safe and humane for the dog and has not been cruelly tested on animals.
- Award Winner: This spray has an award-winning formula of essential oils that was the Winner of the 2020 Family Choice Award.
- Use With any Training System: Used along with size a potty training program, this spray may speed up the process.
- Easy to Use: Liberally spray the desired potty spot every time the dog needs to go. Then let the dog smell the product and then give them lots of praise and rewards after they have done their business.
- Socially Responsible: All Bodhi Dog products and training sprays are made using socially responsible practices; the ingredients are locally sourced and sustainable, with animal cruelty-free production and environmentally friendly recyclable packaging.
- Helps With Re-Training: It may also be helpful when training your dog to pee in a new area.
- Family Owned: Bodhi Dog is a family run company based in the USA.
- Guaranteed: It comes with a 100% money-back guarantee to ensure that you have nothing to lose from trying this spray.
- Might Not Work With All Dogs: As with all of these sprays, when you read up on lots of different customer review sections, you will see lots of people saying Bodhi Dog is awesome but also lots saying it doesn’t work.
- Smell: Some owners report that it smells horrible can’t be used inside, but others disagree. Again it is hard to know. Some people are really sensitive to certain smells.
The Company of Animals Pet Corrector Spray – Best Alternative
- STOPS BARKING: Help train your dog to stop unwanted behaviours; barking, jumping up, food stealing, dog aggression, biting, chewing & furniture…
- SAFE HUMANE NATURAL HISS SOUND: Pet Corrector works by emitting a harmless hiss of air to mimic the natural warning that swans & other animals make….
- GREAT FOR DOG TRAINING: We love our dogs so training them humanely is important. Pet Corrector is a constructive & positive way to interrupt bad…
This training spray is made to be used for all different types of dog training. It has a very clever but very simple idea:
All this spray does is release (harmless) air that makes a loud hissing noise as it is sprayed. The noise sounds to the dog like a warning sound. Think of the hiss that a cat might make.
You can then use it as a potty training spray by using if your dog is about to potty in the wrong place.
Make the hissing sound, the dog stops what it is doing, and you lead the dog to the area where you want it to potty.
- Multiple Uses: This spray can be used for all sorts of dog training, including potty training but also stopping the dog from barking too much or jumping up at people. Anytime you want your dogs to stop a certain behavior, you can use this to do it.
- Safe: It is totally safe to use on adult dogs and puppies that are not really young as a humane and very effective training tool.
- Not For Very Young Puppies: This type of training spray is not really suitable for very young puppies (it will be fine with an old puppy).
- Adult Supervision Required: Young children should not be allowed to use this unsupervised (same as with any other aerosol).
Do these Dog Training Sprays Even Work?
Well, the jury is still out on that question!
As we started to research these products for this review, we noticed something strange.
We looked at dozens and dozens of customer reviews from dog owners, and the reviews for all of these products were very mixed.
Some people loved them and said they had made a huge difference with potty training their pet dogs. But other people left more critical review comments and said they had not worked at all and were a waste of money!
We think that the most likely answer is that yes, they do work. Like all training techniques, repetition and consistency are key.
Should You Try a House Training Spray with Your Pet Pooch?
Taking into account the mixed reviews we just mentioned…
Here is our thinking, the potty training sprays only cost a few bucks and are not dangerous. So using them to try and help train your dog or puppy makes sense to us.
If they work with your dog and make the training process much easier, then great! But if they don’t work for you and your dog, then all you did was spend a few bucks, and at least you tried.
What is also really great is that some of these dog training sprays come with a money-back guarantee, so if you feel like you need a hand with your house training, you can try them with nothing to lose.
Dog Potty Training Spray – Buyer’s Guide
What are the key features you should be looking for when looking for the best dog training spray for potty training?
If you make sure to keep this list of features in mind as you shop around, you should be able to pick through the products and find the best spray for you:
- Can the potty raining spray be used indoors and outdoors?
- How easy is it to use? Are there any complicated steps you have to take, or can you just spray away?
- Is it safe for your home?
- Will it damage grass or plants if used outside?
- What is it made from? Are the ingredients safe for your dog and your family?
- Is it cruelty-free? Has it been tested (in a cruel way) on animals?
- How eco-friendly is it? Are the product and the spray bottle made with the environment in mind?
- How much fluid do you get in a spray bottle, and how much does it cost?
- Does it come with a money-back guarantee? If so, what are the terms and conditions?
- Is it made in the USA? If not, are you confident the ingredients are what the manufacturers say they are?
Hopefully, by paying attention and asking yourself these questions, as you do your research, you will find a good quality house training spray for your dog.
Canine Potty Training Spray FAQ’s
How Does Training Spray Work with Dogs and Puppies?
There are two different sprays attractant and repellent.
- Attractant sprays are designed to tell the dog where to go potty
- Repellent sprays are made to tell the dog where not to go potty.
You can then use one or both types of spray to encourage and train them to poop or pee where you want your dog to go.
What Can I Spray on Carpet to Stop Dog from Peeing?
You can look around for the best dog repellent potty training sprays and try using one of those.
The idea is that the smell of the spray will repel your dog from wanting to poop or pee on your carpet or furniture.
NOTE – Always be careful when applying any chemical products to the carpet or soft furnishing in your home. Read the instructions carefully and make sure you test a small safe area before liberally applying.
How Do You Train a Dog to Pee and Poop Outside?
This is a big question, and a really detailed answer needs its own detailed guide.
But to give a very brief answer:
- Recognize: Recognize and Learn the times when your dog or puppy is most like to need to pee or poop.
- Direct: During those times, take the dog to where you want it to go. This might be an area of your yard, or you might be using a potty pee pad (pee pads are great BTW, we really recommend them).
- Praise: Wait for the dog to do its potty, then you praise it and give it a treat.
- Repeat: If you repeat this enough times, the dog will eventually go and do its potty on the potty pads, or in the area you trained in, without you having to tell it to do so.
If you have been using pee pads inside the house and then want to train the dog to go outside, you just move the potty pads to the new location, and the dog will get an idea in no time at all.
We created a Guide on Potty Training that includes more in-depth advice on house breaking your puppy>
More Potty Training Tips for Your Dogs
Zak George is a very famous and successful professional dog trainer. He has a huge YouTube channel and social media following.
In this short video, he shares a ton of really great advice to help your potty training efforts to help your dog learn what they need to do as quickly and as easily as possible.
Finally, thank you so much for visiting our little dog lover’s website and blog. We hoped it answered any questions you might have about potty training spray.
This wasn’t the easiest post for us to write because the pet owner’s opinions on potty training sprays are so different.
We do our best to help our readers to train, exercise, feed, and love their dogs in the very best way that we can. We are very grateful to any dog owner who takes the time to visit our site, so thanks for taking the time!
Please feel free to take a good look around the site.