As a loving dog owner, it is really sad to see your pet dog suffer from a permanent or temporary disability.
Naturally, you will want to do anything and everything you can to make sure that your disabled dog can get around as easily as possible.
One of the best things you can do for your dog is to invest in a dog lift harness.
You want to find one that is easy to use, and that will help the dog stand up and, if necessary, help them walk.
Something as simple as using a dog lift support harness can make a big difference to the quality of life for your pet pooch.
So in this post, we are looking at the best dog lift harness to help you find the best one for your dog with minimal hassles.
To save you time, we did a deep dive look at all the different types of harness available to buy online and selected the ones we liked the most. This was based on specific criteria (more on this later).
We have divided this page into two sections; the first section has quick reviews of our recommended dog carrying harnesses.
If you scroll down, you will see the chart and the harnesses listed. After that, we have done in-depth reviews of our top choice dog support harnesses.
The Best Harnesses for Lifting Dogs – Quick Review
|Preview||Dog Support Harnesses||Rating|
|PetSafe Solvit CareLift Lifting Harness for Dogs. CHECK PRICES...|
|COODEO Dog Lift Harness with Adjustable Vest. CHECK PRICES...|
|Labra Veterinarian Approved Canine Sling Lift. CHECK PRICES...|
|LOOBANI Portable Dog Sling Hip Support Harness. CHECK PRICES...|
|Pet Friendz Dog Lifting Harness for Rear Legs. CHECK PRICES...|
|The links in the chart go to Amazon. Star ratings are given by Pupster Passion based on research. They are independent of the star rating on Amazon.|
Dog Lifting Harness Reviews In-Depth
Ok now we can get into the details; we have looked that five recommendations in depth.
We used the criteria that we mentioned earlier to create a list of the pros and cons of all of the best harnesses.
(By the way, we did a detailed post here looking at the best dog harness for walking).
PetSafe Solvit CareLift Lifting Harness for Dogs | Pupster Passion Rating:
- If you want the very best dog support harness, we think this is the one to go for.
- This harness gives full-body support for your dog with both front and back sections of support.
- It comes with two short handles over the front, and back legs and a much longer shoulder strap handle. These features mean it is as easy as possible to lift and support your dog (so it reduces your back strain).
- Extra padding on the dog’s undercarriage for increased comfort and less pressure from being lifted.
- Different setups for male and female dogs with removable protection for a male dog’s dangly bits.
- For both males and females, the harness or leg loops do not get in the way during bathroom breaks.
- The harness is made from machine washable, breathable mesh fabric, and foam padding.
- This dog carrying harness is designed to support the dog’s chest, front and rear hips, waist, and chest spreading the weight comfortably across the whole body.
- The harness can be purchased in three sizes, Small, Medium, and Large size.
- Each size comes with multiple adjustment straps to ensure you get a snug but still very secure fit on the dog.
- It can be worn and used for everyday life (the handles can easily be un-clipped).
- Perfect for helping your old, injured, or invalid pet dog stands up, walk, get in and out of a car, take potty breaks, climb stairs, visit the vet, etc.
- Suitable for all the different breeds of dog.
- Front and rear leash attachment points.
- The manufacturer PetSafe offers a harness quality money-back guarantee.
- This harness has a higher price point than most others in this review, but that is due to the full-body setup and the other features listed above.
COODEO Dog Lift Harness with Adjustable Vest | Pupster Passion Rating:
Pupster Passion Rating:
- Helpful for permanently disabled dogs and rehabilitating dogs that have been injured, sick, or operated on by a vet.
- This full-body, vet-approved dog lift harness gives full torso support and has one fairly long, detachable lifting handle straps for easy lifting with minimum pressure on the dog’s body.
- Suitable for male and female dogs with a protector panel for the male dog’s private parts and full potty access for both sexes.
- Made from high quality, breathable, soft material to give your dog maximum comfort.
- Washable and easy to wipe clean.
- This hip and chest harness comes in six different sizes, Extra Small, Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, and XX-Large.
- All sizes options are adjustable, allowing you to get a comfy but still secure fit on the dog.
- Suitable for all the different dog breeds easily, from tiny dogs to huge dog breeds (such as a Great Dane).
- Full customer service and support and satisfaction promised with a money-back guarantee.
- This vest harness is only hand washable.
- The harness is only available in one color scheme.
Labra Veterinarian Approved Dog Lift Canine Sling | Pupster Passion Rating:
- This veterinarian approved dog lift support rehabilitation harness is great for use with a disabled dog or rehabilitation after a dog has been injured, sick, or had an operation.
- Suitable for dogs weighing between 70lbs to 100lbs.
- Made with a soft fleece lining fabric for your dog’s comfort.
- Sling lift length allows you to pick up and support your dog easily without bending over.
- This dog canine lift sling is very simple to put on and off.
- Strong and durable design.
- The harness is available in Large, Extra Large, and XX-Large sizes.
- Each size option then has an extra adjustable strap length to get the best fit for your dog.
- This harness is only suitable for larger dogs.
- It only offers a waist support pad.
- It has to be put on, and off each time it is used (can’t be worn when not in use).
LOOBANI Portable Dog Sling Hip Support Harness | Pupster Passion Rating:
- This portable sling for dogs is ideal for a dog with rear leg or hip issues.
- It is very simple to put on and off the dog’s body and is also very easy to use.
- It can be used to help your dog to stand up, move around, walk, climb stairs, go for potty, get in the car, etc.
- Also great to help support rehabilitation after an accident or an operation on the dog.
- Designed for comfort with a soft fleece lining, thick support pad/padding, and a sheepskin like inside.
- Comes with two adjustable handles with comfort grips for easy prolonged use.
- Works just as well with tall and short dog breeds.
- The harness is fully machine washable.
- This canine support sling lift is only a rear lift harness, so not suitable for dogs with front leg or hip joint disabilities.
- It has to be taken off when not in use, so you can just leave it on all day like a normal dog harness.
Pet Friendz Dog Lifting Harness for Rear Legs | Pupster Passion Rating:
- This dog sling support harness is useful for a dog that has had surgery, been injured, or is suffering from rear leg or hip disability such as canine hip dysplasia.
- It can be used to lift your dog off the floor or into a car, to help your dog go up and downstairs to help with rehabilitation.
- It is very easy to put off and on and has adjustable straps for the handles.
- This dog lift harness support sling lift is made from fully breathable, soft fleece lining to give your dog as much comfort as possible.
- The lift sling comes with lifting gloves, an eBook about dog rehabilitation, and a storage bag.
- The carrying strap goes right around the dog’s body for maximum support and stability.
- The harness comes with high visibility reflective stitching in case you use the support sling to walk your dog at night.
- This one has a lower price tag than some of the more expensive options.
- Comes with a full satisfaction money-back guarantee.
- Only suitable for medium and large dogs.
- This dog lift harness provides support only for the hind legs, so not the best dog harness for dogs with issues around their front legs or hips.
A Buyer’s Guide When Shopping for a Dog Lift Harness
So when you are looking for a looking for the top pick best dog lift harness for your pet, there are some important features and factors that you need to take into consideration:
- The Dimensions of the Support Harness and Strap
- The Type and Quality of the Material
- Comfort and Adjustability
- Strong Handles for Ease of Use
- Reflective Trim (if it is Also a Walking Harness)
- Overall Design and Build Quality Specific to Your Dog’s Needs
The Dimensions of the Support Harness and Strap
Obviously, to make the dog lift harness as effective and safe as possible, it is important that it is a good fit.
So it would help if you took the time to read the manufacturer’s fitting instructions and size chart guidelines carefully so that you get the best possible fit.
Also, make sure that whichever harness you buy has adjustable straps for the dog and adjustable handles to suit you.
Remember, you are doing some heavy lifting, and you do not want the dog’s disability to disable you!
The Type and Quality of the Material
The materials used should be strong (especially for large breed dogs such as a golden retriever), easy to clean (ideally using a washing machine), durable (read customer reviews to double-check this), and functional.
You should pay particular attention chest strap (if the product information you are reading is about a harness for walking). It should be breathable and padded.
Comfort and Adjustability
We love pets, and pets love us. So we want them to be as comfortable as possible if they are disabled or injured dogs.
A dog with mobility issues can still live a long and happy life if it has a decent day-to-day comfort level.
So when you are looking for the best dog support sling for your pooch, please take the materials and design’s softness and comfort in mind.
Strong Handles for Ease of Use
As we discussed earlier, you are doing the heavy lifting when you use a dog sling or lift harness, so good strong handles are essential, especially if you are helping a dog climb the stairs.
The most common dog lift harnesses have handles made from nylon straps, neoprene handles, or something similar.
The support strap should be adjustable and long enough that you can support the dog without bending over or creating unnecessary back issues.
Reflective Trim (if it is Also a Walking Harness)
If you use the dog lift harness for walking your dog at night, then buying one with high visibility, reflective stitching, and trim is a good idea just for increased safety.
Overall Design and Build Quality Specific to Your Dog’s Needs
Each dog is different, and a very small dog will not need a heavy-duty dog sling. A dog that only needs help climbing the stairs might also not need a very well built lift harness.
But if you have a large dog that needs dog lift support for getting around, walking, bathroom breaks, and everyday use, then you should consider buying something much more substantial.
It would help if you also thought about how many handles and what support the dog sling has. Does your dog lifting include lifting in and out of a large car or truck? Do you need support under the dog’s belly, rib cage, or around your dog’s hips? Does the harness need one or more leash attachment? Does your pet only need a dog rear lift harness for its back end?
Take the time to think about what your dog really needs, then do your research and try to find the best dog lift harnesses to choose from.
Why Would You Need a Lifting Harness for Your Dog?
What sort of conditions would require that you help your dog with a dog sling harness? These are some of the possible reasons:
- Hip dysplasia
- Elbow dysplasia
- Temporary or permanent disability from an injury
- Recovery from an operation, surgery, or illness
- Old age
- Canine arthritis
- An aging dog that is naturally losing mobility
- Canine back pain (especially in longer dogs such as a Corgi)
But no matter what the reason, a loving dog owner, you want to do the very best for your dogs and give the pets love and care for as long as you can.
So if your canine companion has difficulty climbing stairs, if you have a large dog that is disabled and struggles to stand up without a lifting aid, if your dog needs leg support for any of the above health issues, a lift harness can make all the difference.
Other Ways to help a Disabled Dog
Apart from using a help ’em up harness for your pet dog, what else can you do to make their lives more enjoyable and comfortable as they cope with disabilities?
- Buy an Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Invest in Heating Pad
- Fix the Dog’s Weight and Diet
- Consider Canine Hydrotherapy
Orthopedic Dog Bed – Getting a good quality comfortable bed that gives the dog joint support is a great way for dog owners to help their disabled or aging dog.
Heating Pad – A dog heating pad can be used to apply heat to the dog’s joint injuries or aching bones for temporary but very effective pain relief and canine aid.
Diet – Consult your vet and see if there are any tweaks you can make to the dog’s weight and diet to ease their mobility issues.
Canine Hydrotherapy – Hydropathy allows injured dogs to use a fuller range of motion as the warm water supports the dog’s body. This allows the therapy to release and relax that tight hip joints and muscles.
What is the Best Way to Lift a Heavy Dog?
As you can probably tell already, we think that the best way to lift a heavy dog is by using a dog lift support harness, such as one of the pet products in our product reviews above.
We think this is the best way to support and move a dog as it is safer for the dog’s owners as they are as much less likely to put a strain on their backs.
It is also safer and more comfortable for the dog as they have the right support and weight distribution for their body.
Some Vet Approved Lifting Techniques for Large Dogs
This short video has some great tips to help when lifting a heavy dog:
Thanks for Stopping By!
That is it for this post covering the best dog lift harness for your fur baby.
As animal lovers who all love pets of all different shapes, sizes, and abilities, we know how important it is for you as a pet owner to best love and care for your dog.
So whenever we review dog products of any sort, but in particular those for disabled dogs, we do our best to share the most important information.
You want to make sure you can give your dog a good quality of life, and we hope that this dog lift harness review article has helped you find the right mobility harness for your dog.