Although dogs are more likely to become overweight than underweight, several circumstances can lead to your dog being slightly below a healthy weight. Being underweight is especially common in rescue dogs who have experienced trauma or gone a long time without proper nutrition, but it can also happen to a dog living in a loving home where they are fed regularly.
If your dog isn’t gaining the right amount of weight or has too much weight loss, there are many ways to help them out. The main one is getting them to a calorie surplus. Luckily, many dog foods give your dog the additional calories and nutrition they need.
Keep reading to find out the best dog food for weight gain as well as other tips for bulking up your dog and keeping them at a healthy weight.
Table of Contents
- Top Picks – Dog Food for Gaining Weight
- Reviews – Best Dog Food For Weight Gain
- Miracle Vet 8-in-1 High-Calorie Weight Gain Dog Food — Best Overall
- Weight Gainer for Puppies and Dogs by Bully Max — Best for Building Lean Muscle
- Buddy & Lola Dog Weight Gainer — Best Powder Supplement
- Rogue Pet Science Healthy Weight, Natural Weight Gainer for Dogs — Best for Increased Performance
- CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food — Best For Increased Protein
- MVP K9 Formula Mass Weight Gainer for Dogs — Best Fat Source
- Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Dry Dog Food — Best Seafood Option
- PET Care Science Dog Weight Gainer — Best for Dogs Regaining Weight
- How to Choose the Best Dog Food for Weight Gain
- Tips on Bulking Up Your Dog
Top Picks – Dog Food for Gaining Weight
When choosing dog food for weight gain, it can be tricky finding the right balance for your underweight dog. It’s important to understand your dog’s needs and to do your research to find out what’s out there.
Luckily, we’ve done some of that work for you. Here is the best dog food for weight gain options to get your dog up to a normal, healthy weight.
Reviews – Best Dog Food For Weight Gain
Miracle Vet 8-in-1 High-Calorie Weight Gain Dog Food — Best Overall
- Miracle Vet High Calorie High Protein Weight Gain Dog Food for Adults and Puppies: 600 Calories per cup. That's more than any other dog food in the...
- 8-IN-1 Weight, Growth & Health Benefits: Fer healthy weight gain, prebiotics, and probiotics to improve digestion, Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids for skin...
- High Calorie and Protein Food for Working Dogs: Miracle Vet High Calorie Weight Gain Dog Food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to help...
First on our list of the best dog food for weight gain is Miracle Vet 8-in-1 High-Calorie Weight Gain Dog Food.
If having your dog gain a healthy amount of weight is your priority, this dog food gets the job done. This dense, high-protein food mix provides a surplus of 600 calories per cup. This high calorie dog food’s 8-in-1 formula has several benefits for your dog beyond healthy weight gain, which is why it’s our best overall choice. These benefits include:
- Prebiotics and probiotics to improve digestion
- Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- Antioxidants for immune support
- Glucosamine and chondroitin to support joints
This is the best dog food for active dogs who need additional energy for their day. Miracle Vet claims you can see a difference in your dog in as little as 24 hours.
- Additional 600 calories per serving
- Several nutrients to improve your dog’s overall health
- Protein to fat ratio of 31:25 for better digestion
Weight Gainer for Puppies and Dogs by Bully Max — Best for Building Lean Muscle
- WEIGHT GAIN DOG SUPPLEMENT Our concentrated Weight Gain Supplements for dogs are a hard-hitting product full of healthy ingredients and high quality...
- 2-in-1 HEALTHY WEIGHT SUPPLEMENT With high-quality whey protein and super-healthy fish oil, Bully Max is ideal for building new lean weight and...
- HIGH CALORIE WEIGHT SUPPLEMENT Bully Max Weight Gain Supplement contains 2400 calories in a single pack. That's 150 calories per ounce - and 130 of...
Next, we have Weight Gainer for Puppies and Dogs by Bully Max.
This liquid weight gain puppy food supplement is full of high-quality proteins from two sources: all-natural whey protein and fish oil.
This supplement works by mixing a single gel packet with your dog’s wet or dry dog food. The gel will stay mixed in until your dog eats it. Each pack contains 2400 calories, with 130 calories per ounce coming from healthy fats.
Thanks to the high protein and additional omega fatty acids, this is the best dog food for weight gain for building new lean weight and improving your dog’s overall health.
- Suitable for dogs of all ages
- Supplement to mix in with food
- 2400 calories per serving
Buddy & Lola Dog Weight Gainer — Best Powder Supplement
- ESSENTIAL NUTRIENTS TO ADD HEALTHY MASS & SIZE: Our supplement is formulated with essential nutrients and proteins to help your dog gain healthy mass...
- MAXIMIZE ENERGY & PROTEIN INTAKE: We understand how important energy and proteins are for building your pet muscle mass. Proteins are also essential...
- THE ULTIMATE DOG FOOD SUPPLEMENT: Our weight gainer for dogs is formulated to help improve muscle endurance muscle recovery muscle performance and...
Our next best dog food for weight gain is Buddy & Lola Dog Weight Gainer.
This supplement with essential nutrients adds healthy weight to your pup. It is in powder form, making it easy to add to your dog’s regular food. You should begin to see the results within a few weeks.
This weight gainer improves muscle endurance, recovery, and performance, all while helping your dog build additional muscle. It also helps to support ATP levels and normalize blood glucose levels. As a bonus, it contains healthy fat to not only stimulate weight gain but also support healthy skin and a shiny coat, which is why we think it’s the best powder supplement available.
This weight gain supplement is safe for all dog breeds but is especially effective on pit bulls and bully breeds who need to gain mass.
- Improves muscle health
- Healthy fats to promote a shiny coat
- Great for pit bulls and bully breeds
Rogue Pet Science Healthy Weight, Natural Weight Gainer for Dogs — Best for Increased Performance
- MUSCLE GAIN & PERFORMANCE: Healthy Weight is for all breeds of dogs and wonderful for picky eaters! It works great for skinny or underweight hard...
- WEIGHT-GAIN GUARANTEE: Our unique formula consists of the highest-quality whole-food ingredients like whole egg, whole sprouted barley, organic sweet...
- MULTIPLE HEALTH BENEFITS: Total-body wellness begins with a healthy gut. Our high-calorie nutritional dog-food topper includes natural vitamins,...
This natural weight gainer from Rogue Pet Science isn’t only great for increasing your dog’s weight, but it will also increase their performance by providing multiple health benefits.
Made from whole-food quality ingredients such as egg, whole sprouted barley, and organic sweet potato, this supplement can fill any nutritional gaps in your dog’s diet.
Rogue Pet Science makes this dog food topper packed with vitamins, minerals, prebiotics, and enzymes to improve your pet’s digestive system and overall health. As a result, your dog will look and feel better and have more energy for their everyday activities.
- Natural quality ingredients
- Improves your pet’s digestive system
- Great for picky eaters
CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food — Best For Increased Protein
- Contains one (1) 22 lb. bag of CRAVE High Protein Adult Grain Free With Protein from Beef All Natural Dog Food Plus Vitamins, Minerals, and Other...
- Inspired by the diets of their wolf ancestors, CRAVE adult dog food is made with real ingredients including high-quality animal protein and the full...
- Satisfies a dog's natural desire for animal protein with real beef as the first ingredient
Inspired by a wolf’s diet, CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food is made with real ingredients, the most notable of which is a high-quality animal protein (real beef) that’s packed with meaty flavor dogs love. It’s made from 34% high protein and contains the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients your dog needs to grow.
This dry dog food is unique because it’s grain-free and has no preservatives or artificial flavor, providing your dog with only the nutrients they need for growth and strength.
- 34% high protein
- Satisfies dog’s natural desire for meat
- No grain, artificial flavors, or preservatives
MVP K9 Formula Mass Weight Gainer for Dogs — Best Fat Source
- MVP K9 Formula Mass Weight Gainer For Dogs is formulated for skinny, underweight dogs to help pack on healthy weight fast. Each serving scoop contains...
- Works Great for Skinny, Underweight, Picky Eaters - Formula Mass Weight Gainer works great for adding mass and weight on skinny underweight dogs of...
- Promotes Muscle Growth & Energy - Each scoop of Formula Mass Weight Gainer contains whey protein and Creapure that have been proven scientifically to...
The next best dog food for weight gain on our list is MVP K9 Formula Mass Weight Gainer for Dogs.
This weight gainer is formulated for underweight dogs to add on healthy weight fast. The composition of each scoop of this powder is 50% healthy fats, 28% whey protein for size and muscle support, and over 18 BCAAs for additional health benefits. This weight gainer is especially beneficial for nursing mothers who need the additional nutrients.
Suitable for a wide range of breeds, the taste of this formula is perfect for picky eaters, and it contains no fillers, salts, or sugars. You should be able to see results within weeks of feeding your dog this weight gainer through their increased mass and energy.
- Great source of healthy fats
- Suitable for a wide range of breeds
- Great for nursing mothers
- Effective for picky eaters
Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Dry Dog Food — Best Seafood Option
- FISH PROTEIN: Herring meal is the #1 ingredient in this coastal recipe. Our wild-caught herring, salmon, and Pacific Whiting fish proteins are highly...
- SUPERFOOD BLEND: Superfoods including flaxseed, blueberries, and cranberries help support excellent digestion and nutrient absorption.
- HEART HEALTH: Enriched with added Taurine and Methionine to help support your dog’s heart health. Keep your furry friend’s vibrant, playful spirit...
If your dog is underweight and not eating their food, it could be because they don’t like the type of dog food you’re serving them. Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Dry Dog Food is a good choice if your dog isn’t a big fan of poultry or meat and prefers seafood.
This high-protein dog food uses herring meal, which is highly digestible for dogs. It also contains flaxseed, blueberries, and cranberries to further support digestion and nutrient absorption, as well as taurine and methionine to help support your dog’s heart health.
This dog food is suitable for dogs of all sizes, ages, and breeds, making it a great option to introduce to fussy puppies to ensure they achieve a healthy weight.
- Fish-based dog food
- Good for sensitive skin and stomach
- Superfood blend for added nutrients
- Suitable for all dogs
- Great for heart health
PET Care Science Dog Weight Gainer — Best for Dogs Regaining Weight
- Dog Weight Gain - Has your dog recently suffered from an illness or injury which has caused them to lose weight or size? Or do you have a show or...
- Weight Gainer for Dogs - Packed with protein and all the other natural supplements that your dog needs to regain lost weight or increase muscle size....
- Other Benefits - Not only will this supplement help to grow your dogs size it also aids with the side affects of the increase weight. Included...
Our last pick for the best dog food for weight gain is PET Care Science Dog Weight Gainer.
If your dog has recently suffered an injury or is getting over an illness that caused them to lose weight, this weight gainer formula is a good way to get them back on their feet and feeling their best.
Packed with protein and nutrients, this supplement makes it easier for your dog to gain back weight quickly. The formula contains what you need for your dog to gain weight, but also elements that will help with your dog’s side effects while they gain the weight, including amino acids for joint strain and to reduce inflammation.
This dog food supplement has a sweet bacon flavor. All you have to do is mix a scoop into your dog’s regular food and watch them get back to a healthy weight.
- Good for dogs needing to regain weight
- Amino acids to combat weight gain side effects
- High in vitamins
How to Choose the Best Dog Food for Weight Gain
When choosing dog food for weight gain, you must first decide whether you’re looking for dog food or if a weight gain supplement is a better choice for your dog. While switching their food out to a new high caloric food may be preferable, if your dog is a picky eater, this may be difficult. If that’s the case, mixing a weight gain supplement into their regular food might be a better choice as it’s less change for your dog. They often won’t even taste the supplement!
Beyond that, when choosing the best dog food for weight gain for your pet, there are a few qualities to look out for, including:
- High calories: Your dog will only gain weight if they get a calorie surplus. Therefore, it’s important to feed them more food than they burn. If your dog is a picky eater and doesn’t want to eat a large quantity of food, then choosing a dog food with a high amount of calories is your best option.
- Protein and fat content: You should aim to get dog food with a good balance of proteins and fats. The fats ensure that your dog gains the body weight they need, while the protein allows them to form lean muscle a lot easier, which is beneficial to their overall health.
- Nutrients: You shouldn’t just pay attention to the fats and proteins in your dog food. Check out the other nutrients your dog’s food of choice contains, such as vitamins and minerals, which could help improve your dog’s overall health.
Tips on Bulking Up Your Dog
As a dog owner, changing your dog’s diet is the best way to ensure that they increase their mass to a healthy weight, but there are other things that you can do to speed up the process and guarantee that they remain at the weight. Here are a few additional tips for helping your dog gain weight:
- Feed them more frequently: If you don’t want to switch out their food, then you might be able to get them to eat more. Feed your dog multiple times a day instead of once to see results.
- Free feeding: Try leaving food out for your dog to eat as they please. They may begin nibbling more often when they’re bored, increasing the calories they take in each day.
- Try softer foods: One problem that could cause your dog to lose weight is tooth sensitivity. This is especially common in older dogs. Try switching from dry food to wet food and see if you notice them eating more.
- Try Puppy Treats: We have a great post to help you find healthy treats for your dog.
Proper nutrition is a critical part of your dog’s life, so it’s important to monitor whether they’re getting enough of it. If you don’t know where to start, choosing a more neutral dog food such as Miracle Vet’s 8-in-1 Dog Food is a good choice. You may also luck out by adding a supplement such as Buddy & Lola’s weight gainer to the food they already love to help your dog gain weight.
If your dog continues to lose weight even after changing their diet, contact your vet immediately as there could be a more severe problem.