A Maltese dog may look luxurious, but it is one of the gentlest, affectionate, and friendliest dog breeds around, and no one knows this better than their owners. With such a lively and playful dog, you certainly want to give them the best, including the best food for their diet.
To keep your Maltese dog happy, carefree, and energetic, feed them the right food full of nutrients that works for their bodies. If you’re wondering what that diet looks like, you’ve come to the right place. In this guide, you’ll discover the best dog food for Maltese and how to pick the right food to keep your pooch’s belly full and satisfied.
Table of Contents
- Top Picks for Best Dog Food For Maltese
- Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Small Adult Dry Dog Food — Best Overall
- Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food — Best for Sensitive Skin
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food — Best Natural Dog Food
- Solid Gold – Mighty Mini with Sensitive Stomach Probiotic Support — Best for Digestion
- Nulo Small Breed Dry Dog Food — Best for Protein
- Cesar Simply Crafted Meal Topper Wet Dog Food — Best Meal Topper
- What to Know Before Choosing the Best Dog Food for Maltese
Top Picks for Best Dog Food For Maltese
Maltese are not the type of dogs that will eat anything. They are particular with their food, so it’s more likely that you’ll have to experiment with a few different products and brands before you find something they’re happy with.
Thankfully, we’ve done the research side for you. These are the best dog foods for Maltese that will hopefully have your dog hooked upon first taste.
Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Small Adult Dry Dog Food — Best Overall
- SMALL BREED DOG FOOD: Royal Canin Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food is precise nutrition specifically made for small dogs 10 months to 8 years old…
- WEIGHT MAINTENANCE: L-carnitine helps maintain a healthy weight, while helping to meet the high energy needs of small dog breeds
- SKIN AND COAT HEALTH: Optimal levels of fatty acids like EPA and DHA support skin and a healthy dog coat
First on our list of the best dog food for Maltese is Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Small Adult Dry Dog Food.
This Royal Canin Maltese adult dog food is made for small breed dogs, such as the Maltese, between 10 months to 8 years old.
It features L-carnitine, which helps maintain a healthy weight while meeting the energy needs of small dogs.
What’s more is that the size of the kibble in this dry food is specially designed for the small jaw of the Maltese toy breed, allowing them to eat easily and without struggle.
Additional benefits of this dog food include providing optimal levels of omega fatty acids such as EPA and DHA to support skin and a healthy coat.
The chicken flavor of this dog food makes it palatable for picky eaters as well.
- Specially made for small breeds
- Palatable flavor designed for picky eaters
- Small kibble fits perfectly in Maltese mini mouth
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food — Best for Sensitive Skin
- This adult dry dog food in a smaller kibble promotes digestive health while nourishing skin
- Vitamin E, omega-6 fatty acids and other nutrients in smaller kibble help nourish skin & promote a lustrous coat
- This dog food is formulated to be highly digestible for optimal nutrient absorption & easier stool pick-up
Next, we have Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food.
What makes this one of the best dog food for Maltese isn’t the miniature size of the kibble, although that’s beneficial. This dog food is highly digestible for optimal nutrient absorption and easier stool pick up, which is especially helpful for the Maltese breed’s sensitive stomach.
This dog food is packed with vitamin E and omega-6 fatty acids to help your smaller dog develop the luxurious coats that Maltese dogs are known for and healthy skin underneath.
This is further supported by the other natural ingredients found in this food, including additional vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
We hope that the chicken and barley flavor of this kibble is a hit with your Maltese!
- Formulated for optimal digestion
- Small kibble for easier chewing
- Nourishes skin and promotes a healthy coat
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food — Best Natural Dog Food
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and…
- SMALL BREED DOG FOOD: Specially formulated for small breed dogs, BLUE Life Protection Formula Small Breed dry dog food contains increased levels of…
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal…
Next on our list of the best dog food for Maltese is the Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Dry Dog Food.
Real meat is the first ingredient of this hearty dog food.
Made for small breeds, this Blue Buffalo dog food is a great source of high-quality protein for your dog as it’s made from real chicken.
It also contains whole grains, garden vegetables, and fruit to balance your little one’s digestive system.
This kibble is ideal for your Maltese’s jaw, and it contains a blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support the immune health of your Maltese.
The simple chicken flavor is bound to persuade your Maltese to take a bite.
- All-natural – no animal by-products, artificial flavors, or preservatives
- Chicken as the first ingredient
- Contains additional vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 and -6 fatty acids
Solid Gold – Mighty Mini with Sensitive Stomach Probiotic Support — Best for Digestion
- Contains (1) 11 lb bag of solid gold mighty Mini chicken, chickpea & pumpkin Recipe
- Small and toy breed Grain and gluten free Recipe. Ideal for all life stages from puppy to senior
- Carefully curated blend of 20 nutrient-dense superfoods to provide a powerful source of natural vitamins and nutrients to nourish your pet
Next, we have Mighty Mini from Solid Gold.
This is another one of the best dog food for Maltese with sensitive stomachs in mind.
Solid Gold uses patented protection to ensure that their kibble contains living probiotics that support your pet’s immune system and digestive system.
What’s more, this dog food is made from a carefully curated blend of 20 nutrient-dense superfoods to provide a powerful source of natural vitamins and nutrients to nourish your Maltese.
Another benefit of this dog food is that it comes in a variety of flavors, including beef, chicken, lamb, salmon, and turkey. This means you have at least five tries to discover which one is your Maltese’s flavor of choice.
- Living probiotics
- Omega fatty acids
- Variety of flavors
Nulo Small Breed Dry Dog Food — Best for Protein
- GRAIN-FREE recipe contains no corn; wheat; soy; white potatoes; tapioca; artificial colors, flavorings or preservatives. Based in Austin, TX and…
Next on our list of the best dog foods for Maltese this year is Nulo Small Breed Dry Dog Food.
This high protein dry kibble is a great low-carb food option, as it is grain-free and free of artificial colors, flavorings, or preservatives.
The formula is 84% animal-based protein and has fewer carbs with a lower glycemic level, such as lentils, sweet potato, and chickpeas, making this an excellent protein source for your Maltese, especially if they are on the verge of obesity.
The smaller kibble promotes slower chewing, which also prevents your Maltese from overeating and promotes healthy digestion.
Beyond that, this dog food contains BC30 probiotics which support a healthy gut and give your pooch an extra boost for digestion.
- High source of protein
- Great for weight management
Cesar Simply Crafted Meal Topper Wet Dog Food — Best Meal Topper
- Contains ten (10) 1.3 oz. tubs of CESAR SIMPLY CRAFTED Wet Dog Food Cuisine Complement with chicken
- Made with 5 ingredients or less for a wholesome addition to any meal with more flavor and less filler
- Our recipe’s first ingredient is chicken—a favorite among furry best friends
Although Maltese is a picky breed, they can be easily fooled. Adding chicken to your dog’s kibble might make it more appetizing to them in addition to providing extra protein.
Each tub of this wet food meal topper is 1.3 ounces and contains nothing but chicken and water.
There are no artificial colors, flavors, fillers, or preservatives, meaning it’s made for the simple taste buds of the Maltese breed and other small breed dogs, like a Yorkshire terrier or Shih Tzu.
The tubs are no-fuss and peel away to conserve the freshness of the food before easily serving it to your pup.
Your Maltese will thank you for this wonderful addition to their meal.
- Additional flavor and protein to kibble
- Simply chicken with no additional ingredients
- Convenient no-mess container
What to Know Before Choosing the Best Dog Food for Maltese
Every dog breed is different, which means that every dog has different nutritional needs. You must understand the nutritional needs of the Maltese before you begin forming their diet.
Maltese Dogs Have Sensitive Stomachs
The first thing to know is that Maltese are more prone to sensitive stomachs than other dogs. For this reason, they need a diet with an adequate amount of fiber and probiotics for healthy digestion.
Prioritize proteins that are easy to digest, and try to stay away from artificial ingredients that may upset your Maltese puppy’s tummy or trigger a food allergy.
Maltese are Picky Eaters
Maltese are picky eaters — much more so than other dog breeds. If they don’t like food, they won’t hesitate to make that known and walk away. That may be frustrating at first, but you’ll eventually get to know your dog and learn what they like to eat.
It’s a good idea to start by serving simpler foods with minimal ingredients, such as food that contains one protein.
Maltese are Prone to Obesity
Despite being picky eaters, Maltese are prone to obesity, as is the case with many small dogs. The healthy weight of a Maltese is around 4 to 8 pounds. That said, because they’re such active dogs, they also need a lot of calories, making it tricky to find the right balance in their diet.
If you notice your Maltese getting a little chubby, you may need to cut down on food or switch their food completely to something less dense.
Maltese Can Have Joint and Dental Problems
Beyond that, other common health problems you’ll notice in the Maltese are joint and dental problems. Chondroitin and glucosamine are two ingredients that can minimize joint problems, and dry kibble can help keep your Maltese’s teeth clean.
Maltese are picky eaters, so you may find choosing a dog food they like more challenging than with most other dogs. However, it isn’t impossible, and just takes a little bit of patience, trial, and error.
Start by trying one of the small dog foods on this list for your toy breed and seeing how your Maltese reacts to the flavor and texture. With time, the best dog food for Maltese taste buds will become obvious, and you’ll have a happy, energetic dog who’s always satisfied.