I love brushing my dog. It is so relaxing for both of us. I am lucky because I have a pet that wants all kinds of physical attention, making it easy to keep his coat in great condition.
He is kind of comical, really. I can sit with my hand on his body, and he is fine, but the minute I remove it, he pushes me for more. He always wants more love and attention!
So, when he sees me get his dog brush, he runs right over, happy and excited to be groomed. As you know, there are many different grooming tools and dog brushes available to buy.
When looking for the best dog brushes for Goldendoodles, it can be hard to know which one is the best option for your dogs coat.
Goldendoodles have a particular type of coat. A Goldendoodle coat is thick, strong, and often very curly, so they need a specific type of dog grooming brush to cope with it.
Most breed owners find that slicker brushes are the best tools for their pet’s fur. They have many very fine, tiny wire bristles that do an excellent job of keeping the fur from getting knotted.
Table of Contents
- Types of Dog Brushes
- Best Overall Dog Brush for Goldendoodles
- Push Button Dog Brushes for Goldendoodles with Lifetime Warranty
- Double or Single Coat Dog Brush for Goldendoodles Soft Stainless Steel Bristles
- Double-Sided Dog Brushes for Your Goldendoodle With Long or Short Fur
- Fluff Up Fur With Slicker Brush for a Goldendoodle
- Best Brush for Matted Dog Fur
- Best Dog Brushes for Your Goldendoodles With Longer Fur Lengths
- What Is a Goldendoodle and How Did the Breed Come About?
- Factors to Consider When Looking for the Best Brush for Goldendoodle Grooming
- 10 Great Tips for Caring for Goldendoodles
Types of Dog Brushes
Here is a breakdown of some of the dog brushes you may encounter in our reviews below:
- Slicker Brush: This is a common brush type typically used on medium to long-haired dogs for regular brushing. A pet slicker brush removes matts and tangles and rids your dog of loose fur or dead hair from his undercoat. A slicker brush has fine wire bristles that are angled and have protective tips to reduce any skin irritation it may cause.
- Bristle Brush: A bristle brush is usually combined with a pin brush and is good for shorter hair dogs. They can remove fine dirt from your dogs coat as well as add a healthy shine to the coat. It can reduce excessive shedding and improve the dog’s coat overall.
- Pin Brush: A pin brush is another common pet brush type and can remove small tangles and matts from a medium to long-haired dog, including a Goldendoodle coat. The pins have rubber or plastic tips and are gently on a curly coat or thick coat. They are typically safe to use with most dog breeds and won’t cause brush burn when used correctly.
You can see some great examples below. Click on the links if you want to check the prices.
Best Overall Dog Brush for Goldendoodles
Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Dogs
- #1 Cat & Dog Brush – Voted Best Overall for 2022 by Spruce Pets. Trusted by millions of fur parents!
- Super Effective – Reduces shedding, detangles, removes dirt & debris, keeping your furry friend’s coat shiny & healthy
- Paws-itively Versatile – PURRfect for cats & dogs of all fur types
The Hertzko self-cleaning slicker brush for dogs is our overall top recommended choice for Goldendoodle grooming:
- It is lightweight
- Has curved wire bristles
- Has a non-slip handle
- It is easy to clean
- Was designed with a Goldendoodle in mind
The brush is lightweight at only 3.2 ounces, and the curved wire bristles penetrate medium to long coats nicely. To clean the brush, you just have to press the button. The bristles will retract, and you can remove the hair easily.
This Hertzko bristle brush can remove loose hair, eliminate tangles and knots, and remove dander and trapped dirt from your dog’s fur. It also works as a de-shedding brush and won’t scratch the dog’s skin.
Push Button Dog Brushes for Goldendoodles with Lifetime Warranty
The Pet Portal Self Cleaning Dog Brush
- SELF CLEANING – Dread cleaning your dog hair brush? With our clever self-cleaning cat brush, simply push the button, wipe, and your favorite dog…
- TIME SAVING – Whether you’re a puppy parent, kitty carer, groomer, or vet, this shedding brush for pets removes excess hair with very little time and…
- VERSATILE – 5 inch and 3/4 inch deshedding brush are ideal for both long or short haired fur babies – our cat and dog grooming brush removes mats,…
The Pet Portal self-cleaning dog brush is ideal for dogs with long or short hair.
- It removes tangles, matts, dirt, and loose fur from your dog’s coat.
- It is also gentle to use for effective and painless de-shedding.
- The release button allows you to remove your pet’s hair from the brush easily and conveniently.
- It is good for sensitive skin and helps keep your home fur-free.
- The stainless steel bristles provide better grooming results, including a gorgeous coat.
The Pet Portal self-cleaning brush is durable enough to comb through even the thickest hair of your Goldendoodle without any fighting or pulling. The brush will catch the hair as it loosens.
Double or Single Coat Dog Brush for Goldendoodles Soft Stainless Steel Bristles
HappyDogz Store Slicker Dog Brush
- CUSTOMER HAPPINESS: Our responsive customer service team is fully committed to ensuring you have the best experience possible! If you have any…
- TRUSTED SLICKER BRUSH ON THE MARKET: Excellent Grooming Results For MEDIUM to LARGE Dogs (Small size for smaller sized dogs also available)
- GENTLE BRISTLES – The Special Bristles Are Comfy For Your Dog But Firm Enough to Get Out the Toughest Tangles and Mats
The HappyDogz Store slicker brush is another great option for a Goldendoodle or medium to large breed dogs.
- It effortlessly removes matts, tangles, and loose hair from your dog’s coat.
- It also works as a de-shedding tool.
- It allows you to achieve great grooming results with minimal effort.
- The stainless steel pins of the brush can comb through the thickest double or single coat easily while allowing for a more comfortable grooming session for your dog.
- It also has an ergonomic and durable design.
Double-Sided Dog Brushes for Your Goldendoodle With Long or Short Fur
FURminator Firm Grooming Slicker Brush
- Simple, comfortable solution for clean, healthy coats
- Removes surface mats and detangles and smooths fur without pulling
- Brush design reduces pressure on the pet’s skin
The FURminator slicker brush is a comfortable solution for a clean and healthy coat.
- It easily removes surface matts and detangles the dog’s fur while smoothing it without pulling at the hair.
- The design of the brush also minimizes any pressure placed on the dog’s skin.
- It is the ideal brush for pets with curly, long, or medium coats and leaves a natural shine.
- You will find straight bristles on one side of this brush, and the other side features bent bristles.
- The dual flex head design will follow the natural contours of your dog’s body while ensuring the bristles stay upright.
- The ergonomic handle also makes it easy for a dog owner to use, especially during a long grooming session.
Fluff Up Fur With Slicker Brush for a Goldendoodle
Chris Christensen Big G Dog Slicker Brush
- GROOMERS MIRACLE BRUSH – Best slicker brush for removing matts, fluffing and brushing your dog. A fantastic de-shedding tool Premium “comfort…
- GROOMGRIP – The unique GroomGrip rubber coating is great for using in the bath to prevent the brush from slipping in your hands and its ergonomic…
- DOG BREEDS – It is the best dog slicker brush for Poodles, Goldendoodles, and Labradoodles because of its ability to remove tangles and mats with…
The Chris Christensen Big G dog slicker brush is another great option for a Goldendoodle. It was originally made for professional groomers and has a cushioned pad that retracts the scratch-free pins, so the brush effectively grasps any tangles or knots. The pins were designed to be longer than other brushes, saving some time during each grooming session.
This slicker brush also features a unique GroomGrip rubber coating, which can be used in the bath. The coating ensures the brush stays securely in your hand and prevents slipping and brush fatigue. Due to its ability to remove tangles easily while fluffing, detangling, and styling, this brush is ideal for a poodle, Goldendoodle, and Labradoodle.
Best Brush for Matted Dog Fur
Rubold Dematting Tool for Dogs
- NO SCRATCH & NO PAIN! – This dematting tool for dogs has 17+9 precision teeth which provide gentle and precise grooming for dogs with sensitive…
- GET RID OF DOG HAIR ALL AROUND THE HOUSE – Simple 5-minute brushing will remove tons of unnecessary dead undercoat from your furry friend. An…
- BRING OUT THE BEAUTY IN YOUR DOG – The Extra Wide 3,6 Inch Wide 2 in 1 Grooming Tool: Start with the 9 sharp teeth side for stubborn mats and…
If you are looking for the best brush for matted fur, look no further than the Rubold Dematting Tool for dogs. It is a dog and cat brush that can groom the undercoat on medium and long hair pets. It has precision teeth that do not scratch or cause your pet any pain, so it is suitable for sensitive skin. It has a rounded outside, so it won’t hurt the skin, and a sharp inside so it can clear out matted fur and tangles safely.
A simple five-minute brushing is all that is needed for a thick and healthy coat. It works wonders on coarse, long, curly, wiry, or thick matted coats. This all-in-one tool is great for detangling, de-shedding, and brushing while being pleasant for you and your furry friend.
Best Dog Brushes for Your Goldendoodles With Longer Fur Lengths
Ryan’s Pet Supplies Paw Brothers Slicker Brush
- EXTRA LONG PINS – Crafted from high-quality materials, this professional-grade brush features extra-long stainless steel pins that easily penetrate…
- COMFORTABLE – The flat slicker design allows for gentle yet effective grooming, while the ergonomic handle ensures maximum comfort and control during…
- ALL COAT TYPES – The Paw Brothers Extra Long Pin Flat Slicker Brush is suitable for all coat types and can be used on both dogs and cats. It’s perfect…
This Paw Brothers slicker brush features an extra-long handle and stainless steel pins that can deeply penetrate into the dog’s coat for a better grooming session. It is effective for medium to large dogs with long, thick, or double-coated hair, like your Goldendoodle. The grips on this brush are comfortable, making it easy to use. It is also non-slip.
What Is a Goldendoodle and How Did the Breed Come About?
A cross between a Golden Retriever and a Poodle, this dog has very gentle qualities while at the same time having the coat of a poodle, which is not standard dog hair.
Many people with allergies have no problem with purebred poodles because they don’t have the dander, which usually causes the allergy. Further, there is no shedding with this breed.
That means you can keep your house clean and not have all your clothes covered in dog hair. While it is a larger dog, it is manageable because of the lighter build. It is not wide and solid like some other breeds.
Like hundreds of years ago, when a particular breed was bred for a purpose such as guarding or hunting, the Goldendoodle definitely had a specific purpose. Not that it would not be a working dog, but it would be acceptable to families that need the wool-type fur. Some people call it a designer dog!
But one disadvantage to having poodle fur is that it does get all tangled and messy. It would be best to keep up with brushing, or the dog will have matts all over. And they are not pleasant for the dog, especially when you try to get them out.
If a dog is left wet, the hair pings into coils and sticks altogether. If you have ever seen what happens in the snow or if the dog walks in a puddle, you know how important it is to brush these spots out right away.
In addition to the fact that it hurts the animal, if you wait too long and have to take her to a professional groomer, it will be expensive because of the amount of time needed to fix the mess and detangle the fur. Bits of dirt and mud gets in there, making it impossible to budge.
When the pet has to go through that ordeal, she will forever hate going to the groomer or being brushed. That is why you want to invest in the proper dog brush for your beautiful Goldendoodle so she can have a healthy and carefree coat.
Factors to Consider When Looking for the Best Brush for Goldendoodle Grooming
Now that you have tons more information and our top recommendations, let’s take a closer look at the factors to keep in mind when looking for the best brush for Goldendoodle grooming sessions.
Metal vs Plastic Bristles
Most dog brushes have metal bristles or soft plastic bristles. Some are also double-sided, which offers the flexibility many pet owners want. If you choose metal pins, then look at the pin length. This will determine how much it will penetrate a thick coat like that of a Goldendoodle.
You want the metal bristles to be longer as well as sturdy when looking for the best brush for Goldendoodle. So, the metal bristles of a pin brush should also be durable and made with rust-resistant stainless steel.
Since you will be regularly grooming your Goldendoodle, you want to have a brush with an ergonomic handle so it is comfortable to hold. Many of the options above have ergonomic handles, are cushioned, and some even offer a non-slip grip or thumb rest.