Did someone say PUPPIES!?!? It doesn’t matter if you a bringing a new puppy into your home or you have a dog that is expecting a litter of puppies…
CONGRATULATIONS on the New Puppies!!!
All dogs are 100% amazing, but there is something extra special about puppies. So congratulations, please enjoy and appreciate them while they are still so young, so totally fluffy and adorable.
In this post, we will ask the question, what is the best bedding for a puppy (or for a litter of puppies).
We have divided this post up into two sections. The first section covers the best puppy bedding if you are bringing a new puppy into your home.
The second section covers the best bedding to use for a Mom and her litter of new babies in a whelping box.
We have looked at the top-rated products for both sections and reviewed them in detail, giving pros and cons for each choice.
By the time you have read this post, you will have an excellent idea of what to use for puppy bedding, so let’s dive in.
What is the Best Bedding for Your New Puppy?
This quick chart will give you a good idea of our recommended options for your puppies. After this, we will share detailed reviews.
|Comfy stylish and very easy to clean - Best Friends by Sheri Fur Donut Cuddler. Check prices...|
|A cozy little bed for puppies and smaller dogs - Pet Craft Supply Co. Soho Dog Bed. Check prices...|
|A snug little tent for puppy to curl up in - Pet Tent Soft Bed for Dogs. Check prices...|
|Snug, durable, easy to wash blankets for your puppy - Comsmart Warm Paw Print Blanket Cover for Puppies. Check prices...|
|A great choice if you are on a budget - Luciphia Super Soft Fleece Blankets. Check prices...|
|The links in the chart go to Amazon. Star ratings are given by Pupster Passion based on research. They are independent of the star rating on Amazon.|
Ok, now, as promised, we will look at each of the recommended products in much more detail.
We have looked very carefully at each one and listed the pros and cons underneath the individual images.
Finally, after this section, we will look at the best bedding for a whelping box.
Best Friends by Sheri Fur Donut Cuddler | Pupster Passion Rating:
- This donut style dog bed, Best Friends by Sheri, is a very popular option for many dog owners.
- The design and the faux fur outer cover make this the perfect little bed for your puppy to curl up in with high sides for head support and a cozy feeling of safety and security.
- It is fully washing machine proof and can be dried in a machine dryer to keep the faux fur nice and fluffy.
- You can buy it in three different sizes, Small, Large and Extra Large.
- It comes in two stylish color schemes.
- It cannot be air-dried, so you must have access to a machine dryer if you want it to stay really fluffy.
- We would really love to see this one available to buy in more colors. The two options they do offer are lovely but more choice would be great.
Pet Craft Supply Co. Soho Dog Bed | Pupster Passion Rating:
- Another round, nest style dog bed for your puppy to curl up in.
- Made with orthopedic memory foam to give your dog a comfortable, supported sleep experience.
- The wrap-around walls are designed to give puppies a feeling of safety and security.
- It is very easy to clean. You can throw it in the washing machine and then either machine or line dry (this is great for dealing with any accidental leakages of bodily fluids).
- It comes in two colors, Grey or Brown.
- It is only available in one size 18 L x 18 W x 6 H inches. But it will be perfect for most puppies (apart from giant breeds like Great Danes) and all smaller dog breeds.
- Not suitable for use in a whelping box but great for a single puppy to sleep in.
Pet Tent Soft Bed for Dogs | Pupster Passion Rating:
- This Plush Tent puppy bed is super cute and really well designed.
- The puppy can climb the inside little fabric dog house and feel very secure and snug sleeping under the fabric canopy.
- You can wash it in a washing machine, it is totally machine washable, and it won’t lose its shape.
- Eight stylish color schemes for you to choose from.
- Three size options, Small 16″ x 16″ x H:14″, Medium 19″ x 19″ x H:19″, Large 19″ x 19″ x H:19″.
- Not suitable for puppies that are from enormous breeds. So please make sure you check the sizes before buying.
- Apart from that, there is not really anything else we can criticize this one for. We really love it and think your puppy will as well!
Comsmart Warm Paw Print Blanket Cover for Puppies | Pupster Passion Rating:
- This six-pack of double-sided fleece blankets is the perfect puppy bedding material.
- You can throw these blankets in a whelping box, dog houses, dog beds, or lie them on the floor.
- These blankets are machine washable and are great bedding for dogs of all ages.
- Each blanket size is 24×28 inches.
- The size isn’t ideal for larger breeds. Apart from that, they look great and will keep your puppy nice and snug.
Luciphia Super Soft Fleece Blankets | Pupster Passion Rating:
- High quality, super soft, fluffy puppy blankets with cute little printed designs.
- They are machine washable and safe to dry in a machine dryer.
- Great to use in dog beds, whelping boxes, puppy crates, or any place on the floor that your pups might want to snuggle up and go to sleep.
- The bedding comes in twelve adorable colors and styles.
- You can buy these puppy bedding blankets in four sizes, Small – 23*16″, Medium – 30*20″, Large – 41*31″, X-Large. And you can buy single or three blanket packs.
- We tried to find any negatives for these puppy bedding, but we couldn’t! These bedding blankets are perfect for puppies of all ages, shapes, and sizes.
The Best Type Bedding for a Puppy Whelping Box for a Litter of Puppies?
A whelping box (also known as a whelping pen or nesting box) is designed and built to protect a mother and her puppies during birth and the very early stages of their life.
The whelping box is usually made up of four walls with two sections inside. One for the Mom to lie in and give birth and then a separate section where the puppies can safely play and explore using those very early days of being alive.
What type of bedding is suitable for use in a whelping box with a litter of young puppies?
This short video shows you a breeder using a section of carpet in her whelping box, but not any old carpet will do, so check it out before you get started.
More Tips for Your Puppy Bedding
When you buy bedding for a puppy or puppies, what should you be on the lookout for?
This list covers some of the key features to bear in mind when buying a bed, pillows, or blankets for your pups’ whelping box.
- What sizes does the bedding come in?
- What fabric and materials is it made from?
- Is it safe for puppies to use?
- Can you wash it? If so, is it washing machine proof? Can it be line dried or machine dried?
- Do you get a choice of colors to choose from?
- How much does the bedding cost?
- Does it come with a heating pad, or is it safe to use with a heat lamp?
- What are the customer reviews for the bedding saying?
- Could you use it along with puppy pads and a floor mat?
If you can bear these questions in mind when looking for a dog bed or bedding for your new puppies, they will help you find the best choice for them.