Canines of all kinds have specific habits and act on instinct.
It really doesn’t matter whether they are wolves, wild dogs running in packs or your cute family pet dog.
They all kick their feet after pooing to send out their scent, and they mark their territories with urine like fluids.
And, they set up camp so that they are comfy and free from predators.
The truth is most canines, and therefore our beautiful doggies are nesters. They like to burrow and make themselves little lairs or dens in which to sleep. Their own special refuge!
So I am sure you can imagine how popular a bagel dog bed for nesters would be for your beloved fur baby.
Why A Bagel Bed for Dogs?
Do you wonder why it is called a bagel bed, and why is it the best one for a dog that likes to burrow?
Simply put, if you think of an edible bagel or doughnut, you know that it has a hole in the middle and is fluffy all around.
All of these features make a perfect shape and configuration for domestic dogs to sleep. Even though they don’t run in packs or live in the wild, they have that instinct to act the same as their untamed counterparts.
Your pet dog can snuggle up in the middle, also known as the hole, and sleep in the ring-like position that they prefer. The outside section of the bed is called the bolster.
If you have ever noticed when dogs go to sleep, they start by circling round a spot, and then when they lay down, their whole body is wrapped, so the nose touches the tail.
I have a Basset Hound mix, so he can’t really do that. But he tries nonetheless. It is the same with Dachshunds. Their bodies are elongated and stiff, yet they do what comes naturally and get their bodies curled around as best as they can.
No matter what you call them – bagel beds, donut dog beds, calming pet beds, calming shag donut cuddlers, nest bedding, burrower beds, marshmallow pet beds, or plain cuddle beds – they will all be welcomed immediately by your pet dogs.
Just be careful if you also own a cat because she will want to share this lovely bed with her canine companions!
Best Bagel Dog Bed for Nesters
As usual, the Pupster Passion Team has gone out and looked for a selection of beds that meet the criteria I am writing about for you.
Here are our top five picks with some brief notes. Whether you have a small, medium, or a large pet dog, one of these cute and comfy burrower beds will be ideal.
|Check Pricing||Comments||Small Medium |
|Made In |
|Absolutely, hands down, the most popular nester dog bed for years!||All Sizes||Assembled in USA|
|Lots of colors, styles and sizes. Running a nice close second!||All Sizes||Made in USA|
|Good price point. Selection of colors. Smaller sizing. Nice donut!||Three Sizes||Unknown Country|
|Orthopedic fur and shag cuddle beds for pets. Marshmallow styling.||Two Sizes Only||Unknown Country|
|Lots of great reviews about dogs loving this bagel, but runs on the small side.||Three Sizes||Made In Cambodia|
|The links in the chart go to Amazon. Star ratings are given by Pupster Passion based on research. They are independent of the star rating on Amazon.|
Dog Beds for Burrowers
A flat mat or blanket just won’t do for the pet dog that likes to dig, make nests or snuggle up in her bed.
She wants something of substance, and she wants to feel secure and maybe even invisible.
After all, her bed is her private sanctuary, the place she goes when she is scared, tired, happy, and where she takes her treats and toys.
For this dog, the bagel style dog bed is perfect. It has a hole in the middle to hide her belongings, and it lets her peek out by resting her head and paws on the sides or bolster.
The exterior is loosely made to give the fabric room for moving. To me, these cushions look like bean bag chairs or even inner tubes.
Whatever we think of them, they provide a sense of security to your dog and actually have a calming effect on many breeds.
But for dogs that have had surgery or some sort of injury, an elevated cot type bed like the ones you see in these bed reviews by Coolaroo can be much more comfortable for recovery.
Bagel Dog Bed for Nesters Reviews
As I sit here writing this page, my own dog is madly digging around in all his blankets. He is trying to get the end of the cushion rolled over for a pillow. To be honest, his actions really define the purpose of nesting bedding.
I have to admit these reviews are a lot of fun since the problem is not related to any medical issue, but rather, just getting the right bed to make your precious pet dog comfy, cozy, safe, and secure!
Bagel Dog Bed for Nesters By Majestic Pet
- The bed that customers know by name.
- The company has been around since 1994 and beds are made in the USA.
- Comes in four great sizes for small, medium, large, and huge dogs. It starts at 24” right up to jumbo 52”
- Lovely range of colors, including the most popular 40” chocolate suede. Each hue is deep and intense and would look beautiful with any décor.
- The bottom of the bagel bed is waterproof, which can be quite handy for any unplanned spills.
- The excellent and helpful sizing chart shows the bed, the potential weight the bed holds, the dimensions of it, as well as examples of breeds that would need a specific size.
- Whether you own a teenie tiny wisp of a dog or a massive big galoot, you will find a bed to match his personality and size.
- Machine washable, which is convenient when it needs to be cleaned or simply fluffed up.
- They also offer other fabrics such as poly cotton, as well as printed polyester.
- Generous return policy. Your dog’s satisfaction is guaranteed.
- It seems that some customers have been frustrated at having to put such a big monstrosity into the washing machine. They feel that maybe a removable cover might do better. Although many people, including myself, prefer to cover it with a sheet, so the dog is extra comfy, and there is less work for cleaning.
Bagel Dog Bed for Nesters By Furhaven
- Another great American company to deal with.
- Sizes include small, medium, and large, right up to Goliath, which is actually the chaise lounge bed that looks like a sofa. The smaller beds are the round donut style.
- Cuddle Bed comes in 20”, 30” and 40”.
- When counted, there were about twenty different color schemes to choose from.
- Removable cover for cleaning and restuffing. It seems that you can add more filling as it gets flattened and needs to be plumped up.
- The bottom is non-skid, making it safer for your dog when he steps into bed.
- The company offers replacement covers for sale. It might be handy to have one extra so that you can quickly change it out when visitors come over.
- Easy return system.
- The promotional page is a bit confusing. It is supposed to be about the bagel bed but also talks about the chaise lounge.
- It doesn’t come with extra stuffing. You have to source and buy it separately.
- After checking a few pet forums, we found customers who were not happy about the stuffing situation. Either it didn’t last long, and they had to buy more, or it didn’t wash properly and was all clumped up.
Bagel Dog Bed for Nesters By MIXJOY
- Faux fur in four different colors, including gray, soft pink, brown, and greyish-blue.
- Three sizes with the largest holding up to about 100 pounds. They show a picture of a basset hound and cat sharing one bed, so it must be big enough.
- Travels easily while on holidays since it is lightweight and easy to move.
- The base of the bed is made of non-skid material for safety.
- Softness of fabric makes it quite cozy and calming for your pet dog. And like I said earlier, be careful because your cat will want the bed, too.
- Lots of pets and owners rave about how nice these beds are.
- It does say machine wash on gentle and low heat, but they admit the bed should be hand washed. I personally cannot imagine washing my dog’s bed by hand in the sink or bathtub. I doubt it would get clean, let alone would I be able to wring it out with my hands. Plus, it would take forever to dry in the winter, as it couldn’t be put out in the sun and warm breeze.
- The bolster is not as tall as other bagel beds, but this is a good thing for short-legged breeds. In fairness to the company, they don’t call it a bolster, but rather a raised rim.
- The company does say the cuddler bed is made with pet-safe materials, but I would have preferred they state what the stuffing is made of.
- While there are many excellent reviews on this dog bed, I would like to know where it is made. Our team did try to check around but were unsuccessful at getting the info.
Bagel Dog Bed for Nesters By Friends Forever
- Great bed for dogs with anxiety such as separation disorder and fear of loud noises. The soft features provide warmth and comfort to pets.
- Comes in small and medium sizes. The heaviest weight recommended is 45 pounds.
- Available in tan coloring as well as a pretty white and pink mix.
- Machine washable and can be put in the dryer on low heat.
- Many new owners took the time to add videos, which always means their dogs loved the item.
- While many people absolutely loved the bed, the sizing is geared toward smaller dogs and also cats. With only two sizes available, there are some limitations.
- Quite restrictive in color selection with only two to choose from.
- We noticed on different websites where pet owners discuss products with each other that this bed does not have the required support in the hole part of the bagel. Although the company says it is orthopedic in nature, owners felt that their dog’s body actually rests on the floor because of the flat interior.
- The company does state it uses non-toxic materials, but what are they, and where is the bed made?
Bagel Dog Bed for Nesters By AsFrost
- Comes in dark blueprint with circles or gray print with diamond shapes.
- Offered in small, medium, or large.
- Removable, washable polyester cover.
- Hole, or inside, where the dog sleeps, is made of orthopedic foam for best support and comfort.
- The bolster or rim of the dog bed is made of sponge foam to support the dog’s head and paws.
- Cut-out in the front of cushion for walking in and out of bed to make it easier on the dog’s legs.
- While the bagel bed looks cozy and comfy in the pictures and the dogs lying on it seem content, purchasers have indicated a major problem with the shape. In the company’s zeal to save customers on shipping costs, they have compressed and wrapped the bed so tightly and it cannot get back to its original proper shape. Now, I admit the company states that the bed must sit for 48 hours after unwrapping, but still, that is a real negative in my books.
- The foam may not be as supportive or as good a quality as required of this type of dog bed.
- For the price point, it could do with better execution of wrapping and choice of interior materials.
- Although measurements are listed, they tend to run small.
Majestic Bagel Dog Bed Review
- A leader in this type and style of bed.
- Responsive to customer feedback. For example, purchasers were complaining about a zipper on one of the beds breaking. The company replaced the design with superior zippers, thereby removing the flaw.
- The base is waterproof and slip-proof, offering safety to your pet.
- Use upholstery grade materials, which means the bed should last a lot longer than other fabrics and fillers.
- I love the fact that the beds are handcrafted, which means actual workers assemble them. This keeps jobs in the USA.
- Luxurious faux suede is one component that owners and their pets crave.
- Stuffing can be removed for cleaning and fluffing up.
- Larger beds also have removable covers.
- Bagel bed is perfect for curlers, nesters, and learners.
Two More Features of Majestic Donut Style Dog Bed
The other thing that I absolutely love is the option to personalize the dog’s bed with the name of the pet in pretty embroidery.
Choose the color of the font and the style of the font. It adds so much more to the bed, especially if it is a gift for someone.
The beautiful embroidery is lovely, and I would be so happy to receive this item as a Christmas or birthday gift for my dog.
This is one of the most positive points for me about this company. They actually let you build your own dog bed.
You can choose the design and color of the bolster while at the same time picking out something appropriate for the cushion.
You can mix and match solids or prints, and of course, different colors to get the best match to your dog’s personality and your home décor.
If you want to see how happy your pet dog will be with his or her name beautifully embroidered on her new bed, just take a look at this excited cutie as her owner unboxes her new delivery.
How To Choose the Best Dog Beds
When choosing a dog bed for your pet, there are few things to keep in mind. It should reflect your eye for design, high-quality, comfort, and easy maintenance. Even more important, it should be a bed that conforms to the way the dog prefers to sleep.
Remember when I said that each dog has their preference when it comes to their beds? Observe your dog while he is sleeping, and you will see. Some like to curl up, sprawl out, burrow, or lean back. As a result, most of our furry friends fall into four sleeping categories. We call them your dog’s sleeping personality.
These are the dogs that like to be securely surrounded by their bed while sleeping. The most appropriate bed will be a round or oval shape that contours around their body. You can see why bagel dog beds fit this category. A bolster type that does the same will also be perfect.
Some pooches love to go under the cover and dig in, especially when they are with us on the couch. To have the same effect in their own bed, you can choose a mattress that resembles a cozy nest or something styled like a cave.
These dogs love to sprawl when they are sleeping and resting. To give them a space of their own, buy them a pillow bed or a large mattress.
In order for the dog to have something to support its head and front paws, it will need a rise or bolster on the sides of the bed. These types of sleepers want to lean on something, so they need a dog couch or a bolster-style bed, and they will sleep comfortably.
Here’s some science behind how dogs like to sleep. You will notice the third picture in the collage is the most common sleeping position. That is the one all canines, whether in the wild or domesticated, will prefer. They love to be all curled up.
You can hear about this at the beginning of the presentation. It is the first sleeping personality discussed and directly relates to the shape of your dog’s bed, which is best described as beds for nesters.
Younger and healthier dogs are often more comfortable in plump beds filled with top-of-the-line poly fiberfill, foam, or any standard filling materials. However, some dogs may require extra support that only a particular type of bed can provide.
This is true for older and arthritic dogs who are suffering from hip dysplasia or any other injury that needs high-density support that an orthopedic bed can provide. It can soothe their aches and pains and helps relieve the stress on the muscles and joints.
Your dog bed is big enough that it will be noticed when visitors come to your home. Therefore, it should also reflect your style. You can select from upholstery grade fabrics like luxurious chenille, Sherpa fleece, plush velvet, and so much more. Beds are also available in the latest colors and patterns to match your décor.
Ultimately, bedding just doesn’t have to be a formal bed, per se, but also colorful sheets, comfy blankets, and even fluffy pillows. In fact, real young dogs enjoy hiding and cuddling in mounds of material.
Easy to Clean Features
Let’s admit it, dogs can be messy, and their beds can eventually get dirty and smelly. You need to make sure that the dog bed you have selected is machine washable or has a removable and washable exterior material.
Some beds are made with tightly woven materials that are repellent to hair, moisture, and dirt. These are features you will want to check out.
Before you go and buy your dog his bed, make sure you measure him from nose to the base of his tail while he is in his sleeping position. Add about 8 to 12 inches to get the donut bed diameter or length that you need. If you are in doubt, the trick is to round off the size to make sure that he is comfortable.
You might have found the perfect bed for your pooch, but is she safe? Always lookout for the safety of your pet. Is the fabric hypoallergenic? Is it free from products such as contaminated stuffing that can be potentially harmful to your pets?
This is also an important consideration because you should not buy the cheapest nor the most expensive dog bed if it is not good for your pet.
You should check for other essential features like anti-slip materials, memory foam support, or breathable fabrics. All of these are beneficial features that are worth keeping an eye out for.
Ten Tips To Help Your Pet Dog Sleep Better
In addition to the best bed for your dog, try encouraging good sleep habits.
You can do a few things so that your pet is quiet through the night and gets the rest needed for good health.
- Make sure you take the dog for a walk or play outside. This will wear him out, and invariably, he will need to sleep instead of being up roaming around the house when everyone else is sleeping.
- Be sure to let him out to go to the bathroom right before you go to sleep. This will get him in a routine, plus he won’t be waking you up to do his business when he should be sleeping.
- Keep things dark. To be honest, this is best for humans, too. Draw the curtains and turn out the night lights if you can so that your body is more in tune with sleeping. Dogs will have the same instinct as wild canines and recognize the dark as the time to rest.
- Keep his bed in the same place, so again, routine kicks in.
- Let the dog have a piece of your old clothing in his bed. This is especially helpful with puppies. Your scent from the t-shirt or sweater calms them down and lets them know you are right there.
- Another trick to calm puppies at night is an old fashioned ticking clock. The rhythm pacifies many dogs.
- For some dogs, eating before bed is good. But we are not suggesting giving so much that they are overweight. Keep back a little from their supper and let them have it as part of the nightly routine. Even a favorite treat will do the trick. Once they think their belly is full, they won’t be obsessing about finding something to eat.
- If the dog exhibits symptoms of illness, take her to the vet. Getting any medical issues resolved can get a pet dog back to sleeping again. Another clue of a medical problem is accidental wetting in an already potty-trained dog.
- Soft music sometimes helps, although if it disturbs your sleep, then there is no point. But if you both like it and find it soothing, then try it out.
- Favorite toys in the bed are another option. Now, you don’t want to over-run the bed with all kinds of things, but one item that she particularly likes might make her feel safe and secure enough to go to sleep.
I have to admit we are rather biased in our choice of a bagel dog bed for nesters.
We know that the Majestic Pet 40″ chocolate suede bed has been around for a long time.
They were probably the first company that coined the phrase bagel dog bed.
I personally remember checking around and only finding this type of bed from this company.
But it isn’t solely based on those facts, but rather, customers ask for the beds by name. They have heard of them, too, and want their pets to try them out.
And invariably, the dogs love them, so you can’t get a better recommendation than that.